Mark's Reviews > 'Salem's Lot

'Salem's Lot by Stephen King

Feb 02, 12

bookshelves: dark-tales
Read in September, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 5

Salem's Lot I first read when I was perhaps too young since it scared the living daylights out of me. It took me months before I could sleep without any lights on. It took me even longer before I dared to open any curtains when I heard something against my window (It is still in the back of my mind more than 32 years later).

It is a different take upon the vampire-lore, something that has been utterly destroyed by the coming of Lestat and its later ilk. It is a modern version of Dracula that brilliant and spooky story by Stoker. This one is far more accesable for the modern man and far more recognisable hence its far more effictive scares. In the early days of King he had already mastered the language of the common man which does tend to pull his readers into the story.

This version also contains the other stories about Salem's Lot and looks rather pretty on the bookshelve.

An excellent release well worth the buy for those that enjoy visiting the early works of King time after time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 'Salem's Lot.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Cheryl I'm reading this now, Mark. Really enjoying how creepy it is and wondering who of the townspeople will be next. Thanks for a great review.