Lisa's Reviews > Triggers

Triggers by Robert J. Sawyer

Apr 09, 12

bookshelves: 2012
Read from April 06 to 09, 2012

(originally reviewed on Starmetal Oak Reviews)

Triggers really intrigued me through its premise: the fact that a group of people, through some kind of freak event, are able to access another person’s memory. One of the person affected by it is the President of the United States, who winds up in the hospital where this all goes down after he is almost killed by a would-be assassin. Someone is now able to access the President’s memories and Secret Service agent Susan Dawson.

There were many things about Triggers I enjoyed, although overall I would say I didn’t feel as into it as I would have liked. The science of memories was fascinating and seeing how the group’s newfound ability to access another’s memories was just plain cool. There’s physics and biology which Sawyer really manages to explain in a compelling and approachable way. Also, his writing is deft at creating the right amount of suspense for this kind of action-packed novel.

Another great thing about Triggers was the topical nature. It’s set just a bit in the future but not so much that things are unrecognizable. The United States has been attacked several times by terrorists and even the President had almost been killed. This creates a fast-paced political thriller that has many cinematic qualities, with the more apparent plot being the mystery of who has the President’s memories.

My only reservations are caused by what I believe is the fact I didn’t connect too well with the characters. There’s many, many characters and we get to experience the discovery of memories as they do, which makes for a lot of background information. The only character I really came to connect to was Susan Dawson and that’s because I felt sympathetic about her loyalty to the President.

Overall,Triggers was fascinating and well-written, but it wasn’t enough to make this a must-read. It would definitely be a great read for those who are motivated by the mystery of the memory phenomena itself, or those who are particularly interested in science fiction political thrillers. There are twists and turns and I didn’t really see the end coming, which is a good thing. I would definitely read more Sawyer in the future, and I particular would like to finish his WWW series.

Review copy of this book was provided by the publisher.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Triggers.

04/09/2012 page 352