Liz's Reviews > Rebel Angels

Rebel Angels by Libba Bray

Mar 22, 12

bookshelves: favorites, reviews-to-post, wishlist, witchy-love, historical-romance, priority-wishlist
Read from March 13 to 22, 2012

Full review to come...eventually!

{Notes}

*I so called it from the very beginning! I don't want to be all spoilery about it, but yeah. I totally had it nailed who Circe was disguised as. It made me feel both clever and a little disappointed. I always like when a book can mislead you in obvious and "un-obvious" ways, and then still just completely bowl you over in the end. I was a little bummed that my hunches were right all along.
*The second installment of the series is even better than the first. I enjoyed all the new interactions with the realms, and the pace was definitely increased. There was more tension, more romance, more riddles!
*Dialogue is one of Libba Bray's strengths. Dialogue in historical fiction can be too bogged down for a modern audience, too modern to be convincing, or just right, and Ms. Bray hits the nail on the head every time. The conversations feel authentic for the time period without resorting to Austen imitation.
*The main trio of girls are even more well-developed this go-round. I love the complexities of all of them. They have redeeming factors, and annoying factors all. Ann can be a big ole' Debbie Downer, but then turn around and say or do something sweet that erases it all. Felicity can be, pardon my language, and awful bitch, but we find out why she's created this hard shell of herself, and it will break your heart. Gemma always wavers, never sure of herself, but she triumphs in the end. The only thing I missed out of her narration this go around was her witty humor. But then again, there was a desperation about this one that maybe would have made humor out of place.
*And the romance! I swooned quite a few times. However, I am firmly Team Kartik. He's just too exotically yummy!
*I loved the heart-pumping action scenes, and the horror scenes. The realms were definitely not a fairy tale this time around, and I could picture perfectly the furthering decay with each trip back. If definitely lent a darker tone to this installment, and all in all, I liked it much more than the lightheartedness of the first.
*This is weird to mention, but I actually really liked Gemma's brother Tom in this one. I'm thinking since we only have seen Tom previously from Gemma's perspective, and since she is his sister after all, he's not nearly the insensitive, irresponsible fop we've been led to believe. I absolutely adored his character in this one.
*If you were a fan of the first book at all, then there's no way you can miss reading this one. To me, it was bounds better than "A Great and Terrible Beauty", even if it did have a few minor disappointing moments for me. I'm planning on immediately delving into the third and final book!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rebel Angels.