Susannah Sharp's Reviews > The Fragrance Of Her Name

The Fragrance Of Her Name by Marcia Lynn McClure

Feb 02, 12

Read in January, 2012

Lauryn Kennsington met “The Captain” when she was 8 years old and grew up with the ghost as a friend. He was the dead husband of her great aunt and he has spent the last 50+ years looking for her ghost, so they can be reunited. When Lauryn grows up, she meets Brant Masterson, the great-nephew of her beloved captain, who grew up being friends with a ghost of his own, that of Lauralynn, the missing bride. When these two meet, they realize that they must work together to unite these two lovers who have suffered for so long, just wanting to find each other. It proves to be much more complicated than they imagined.

I loved this book! Although it deals with ghosts, I would not classify it as a paranormal because no really spooky or strange, scary stuff happens. These ghosts are simply there as friends and all four of them work together to try and solve what happened to Lauralynn’s body when she died so that her ghost and “The Captain’s” can finally be reunited. Of course, the love story is between Lauryn and Brant, but the depth of emotion between the two ghosts and their longing for each other is really beautiful and made me cry a few times as I read the novel. It is set in the south, right at the end of World War I and it is a beautiful historical, giving us lots of marvelous details about family and setting. There were no discordant notes in this story, even given the family aspect, which so many authors manage to mutilate. The characters are wonderfully crafted with everyone being drawn very realistically in my opinion. It also hearkens back a lot to the Civil War and since Brant just returned from the horror of his own war experience, the novel draws some touching parallels between why men have to go to war and what it is they fight for. I thought the ending was marvelous, surprising without being crazy, and it hit all the right strings for me. If you enjoy reading books where the romance is so much deeper than just sex, but instead a true meeting of souls, this will definitely appeal to you.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fragrance Of Her Name.