Erin's Reviews > Providence

Providence by Jamie McGuire

Apr 25, 12

bookshelves: favorites, favorite-authors, romance-erotica-faves, autographed-books
Read from April 19 to 20, 2012

Jamie McGuire, you have done it again, girl!!! I had this on my kindle for months and wasn't sure what exactly what it was about (that's what I get for adding books to my TBR without fully reading the summary). I'd been wanting to start it because I know I love Jamie's writing style, and I'm SO glad I finally picked it up!!

Providence gives us Nina, a student at Brown University who's dad has just passed away. The day of her dad's funeral, she happens to meet Jared Ryel, a kind and dreamy stranger who she then happily seems to keep running into around the town. Fate seems to keep bringing them together, and when he asks her to lunch she can't resist spending more time with him. He's kind, gorgeous, and mysterious, but when he starts to push her away and then impossibly saves her and her friends from a brutal attack, she's more confused than ever. Jared decides to let Nina see who he really is and why he seems to know her so well, even though he knows he could be making a big mistake. When he shares the secret that he's her protector, and reveals that there's more to her dad's life and death than she was ever aware of, it leads them down a rocky and dangerous path that puts Nina's life and those around her in harm's way.

Okay, so first off, I LOVED Jared and Nina!!!! Nina is feisty, funny, and strong, and you can't help but feel for her struggles. When Jared comes into her life and suddenly gives her some light in her darkness, it was hard to see her so confused and tormented about the way he was reacting. Once we find out about their past, the story takes on a whole new meaning, and I just absolutely fell in love with Jared!!! OOOOMMMMGGGG this boy is just too amazing in every way!!!! So sweet and loving, oozing steamy sexiness, and ummm, helloooooo???? I won't give it away, but the secret behind his awesome powers just makes him SO unbelievably irresistible!!!! Good lord, I could not get enough of him, every time he came into a scene my heart rate sped up!! And Jared and Nina together were just HOT HOT HOT!! There's so much chemistry sparking between them, and Jamie once again doesn't disappoint with the steaminess!!! Good lord, my heart was about to beat out of my chest more than once, and those moments were as beautiful as it was sexy!! These two are right up there with my all-time favorite YA fantasy couples!!

The supporting characters in Providence were outstanding, too; I just loved Jared's entire family, and Ryan and Beth were perfect as Nina's best friends at the university. The Ryels are just plain awesome, they take bad-ass to a new level and they all have a huge place in my heart!! I just love the twist about who they really are, I was completely engrossed in the story from that point!! They always have each other's backs, and they take on their difficult role in life with everything they have in them. And Ryan, though I never wanted him with Nina, is such a sweet and loving guy that you can't help but love him.

Providence has an exciting story behind the romance, too, and Nina is constantly in danger from the wrath of the demons and the humans that have everything to lose because of her father. They are relentless in their fight to get what they are searching for, and the Ryels are struggling to find a way out that doesn't put Nina in harms way. Jared will do anything to protect her, but is it enough? The struggles they go through to be together will just rip your heart to pieces, my stomach was tied in knots for a good portion of the story! Jared quite simply is every girls dream guy, so entirely and irrevocably in love with and dedicated to Nina that she is literally everything to him and has been for years. When a traumatic event makes Nina question whether or not they should be together to the point she very painfully pushes him away, I wanted to strangle her!!! I was nearly brought to tears over how much pain Jared had to endure because of Nina's stubbornness, I felt my heart shattering along with his!! Seriously, Jamie truly is the reigning queen of utterly heartbreaking, tortured romances. But thankfully, she's also the queen of creating those unforgettable scenes where her characters finally let everything go and just....WOW!!! My heart still races thinking about this amazing love story, I absolutely adore these characters!!! Jamie kept the twists coming up to the very end, too, so I was on the edge of my seat until 100% came up on my kindle! I'm starting Requiem today and can't wait to read more about this unforgettable story!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Providence.

Quotes Erin Liked

Jamie McGuire
“I'm going to kiss you now, and I don't know if I'll ever stop.”
tags: kiss

Jamie McGuire
“If you think I'm happy when you're not around, it's because I'm thinking of you.”

Jamie McGuire
“I wasn't sure what I'd done to deserve such a wonderful gift, and I wasn't sure if it was insolent, but I thanked God for fallen angels.”

Jamie McGuire
“Time will make it worse! You're...the other half of his soul. He's never going to get over you. And no matter how much you hope that you will... you'll never get over him. You're going to wake up one day and realize what you've done, and you're going to regret the time you wasted apart from him for the rest of your life.”

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jen*The Geeky Book Gal* Sounds like a great read.I put it on my TBR list..

Hazel G. (I ♥ Mancandy) *Craves the Angst Reviews* . Added to my TBR list. Thanks for the suggestion.. It sounds awesome. I loved Beautiful Disaster so Im looking forward to seeing something else great by this incredible author!

◆✦✧ Jemz ✧✦◆ Hey Erin thanks ;)
I purchase it . Once I'm done reading Predestined this will be the next book I will read. Thanks for recommending :)
Awesome reviews!!

Sylvia Great review luv I'm like you I totally forget what books I have on my phone and what they are about so you mentioned demons without giving too much away so people can totally read this for our challenge going on right now is that right??

message 5: by Jody (new) - added it

Jody I read the first chapter last year, and cant remember much except about her father. I have to read it.

Sylvia I think that's what I'll start next lol

message 7: by Jody (new) - added it

Jody Im going to try and squeeze it in lol

Sylvia I think that's a great idea I totally forgot I had them can you believe that lol

Erin Heinzypop wrote: "Great review luv I'm like you I totally forget what books I have on my phone and what they are about so you mentioned demons without giving too much away so people can totally read this for our cha..."

Absolutely!! Yeah, don't want to give away what they are, but this definitely applies to this month's challenge!! =)

message 10: by Erin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erin So glad to hear you all plan to read it, it seems to be underrated and I think it deserves a try!! Just finished the second book tonight, I really liked it but it takes on a whole new aspect of the story. Jamie took a risk and branched out, and I think it worked! Really enjoying this series!!

Sylvia Excellent I'll be starting it then as soon as I get off here LOL yeah I've heard nothing but great things about the series and have been meaning to read them for a while now...well Eden the third book isn't far off from coming out!!

message 12: by Mariana (new) - added it

Mariana Not gonna lie, when I'm searching for books, I look at your reviews to see if I'm gonna like it lol! So since you like it that means I'm going to like it lol:)

message 13: by Erin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erin Mariana wrote: "Not gonna lie, when I'm searching for books, I look at your reviews to see if I'm gonna like it lol! So since you like it that means I'm going to like it lol:)"

LOL, I do what I can!! I have had some books that I've loved that don't impress everyone, but hopefully I'm on the mark more often than not! ;-)

message 14: by Aa'Ishah (new)

Aa'Ishah Wow, you''ve definitely convinced me to add this. Brilliant review, Erin! :)

message 15: by Erin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erin Aa'Ishah wrote: "Wow, you''ve definitely convinced me to add this. Brilliant review, Erin! :)"

Thank you! Glad to hear I've convinced you, I loved this series!!

message 16: by Paz (new) - added it

Paz this book sound suspiciously similar to hush hush.. is it worth reading?

message 17: by Erin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erin Paz wrote: "this book sound suspiciously similar to hush hush.. is it worth reading?"

No, it's really nothing like the Hush, Hush series and it's SO worth the read!! Love this series, and Providence was heart-wrenchingly amazing!! Highly recommend it!

Ashley I read your review and u inspired me to pick them up, so I got them all on my kobo 4.00 a piece lets hopes its worth more then the bargain deal I got

message 19: by Erin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erin Ashley wrote: "I read your review and u inspired me to pick them up, so I got them all on my kobo 4.00 a piece lets hopes its worth more then the bargain deal I got"

Oh wow that's an awesome deal! I think it's more than worth that price, but I hope you enjoy them as well!!

message 20: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa You took the words right out of my mouth...or the thoughts right out of my head:) lol very unforgettable trilogy...I want more:)

message 21: by Erin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erin Lisa wrote: "You took the words right out of my mouth...or the thoughts right out of my head:) lol very unforgettable trilogy...I want more:)"

I know, I just loved these characters!!

message 22: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Erin wrote: "Lisa wrote: "You took the words right out of my mouth...or the thoughts right out of my head:) lol very unforgettable trilogy...I want more:)"

I know, I just loved these characters!!"

Me too :) She is a brilliant writer:)