Kristin's Reviews > Girl Reading

Girl Reading by Katie  Ward

Feb 13, 12

it was ok
bookshelves: books-on-books, lit-fic, historical-fiction, read-in-2012, brit-fic, short-stories, reviewed
Read in February, 2012

Okay, I really liked the concept. The writing was quite good. I liked how the stories weren't really connected, yet every now and then a painting from one story was mentioned in another story (and they're all mentioned in the last story, which takes place in the future). I liked that there were some real paintings, then some fictional photographs, which were based on real carte de vistes and Flikr photos. And I liked how there was a futuristic story to tie things together. But in the end, I just thought the book was okay. Part of that, I must admit, is because the author doesn't use quotation marks at all, and there is A LOT of dialogue. It is absolutely maddening. I did get more used to it as I read, but it made the book more challenging to read. Since the subject is clearly supposed to be thought-provoking/-inspiring, that one small detail really threw me out of the world of the book and kept me from pondering as I felt I ought to be. And on top of that, I just didn't feel much connection to, or sympathy with, the characters. Of all the stories, I think I most enjoyed Pieter Janssens Elinga, Woman Reading, 1668. And the reason I liked that one was because the main character a young deaf servant in the household of the painter, was the most sympathetic of all the characters. I also liked the young girl in Unknown, For Pleasure, 1916, who reminded me a bit of Briony in Atonement with her restlessness, desire for something to happen, and confusion about love. Otherwise, I was disappointed with my reaction to this book. It had so much promise, but just didn't quite get there.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Girl Reading.