Erika's Reviews > Days of Blood & Starlight

Days of Blood & Starlight by Laini Taylor

This review is also posted on Living for the Books

I waited far too long to read Days of Blood & Starlight. My emotions are all over the place. I'm still trying to recover from it. At one point I was disappointed but happy. I wanted to sob and smile. As weird as it sounds I like that. I want a book to make me feel something for the characters. I'm so glad the world didn't end so I could finish this book.

I don't even know where to begin with the writing. Laini Taylor has a gift. Her writing is just beautiful and once I actually had the time to sit down and read this book I couldn't stop. From 7 in the morning until about 4 I had this book right next to me. I couldn't even eat without reading this.

And the characters were just perfect too although I was really annoyed at Karou for most of the book. I loved Ziri, Liraz, Hazael. Of course Brimstone is my all time favorite character from this series. Every single time they mentioned him I wanted to cry.

The only problem I had with this book was Akiva and Karou's relationship. I wanted more of it. What did I get? Chapters and chapters of them separated and Karou constantly punishing herself for loving Akiva. It made me want to shake her and scream that they are meant to be.

At least everything else about the book almost made up for that problem. Zuze and Mik were so adorable. I swear if something happens to them in the next book I'm going to sob my eyes out. And Ziri has to get a happy ending.

If you loved Daughter of Smoke & Bone then I would suggest running out and reading Days of Blood & Starlight not only because it has a gorgeous cover but because it was almost as good as the first book and the first book was pure awesomeness.

Now I'm just wondering how I'm going to survive the wait for book 3. I mean how could it just end like that with the third book so far away?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Days of Blood & Starlight.

Quotes Erika Liked

Laini Taylor
“Once upon a time, an angel and a devil fell in love and dared to imagine a new way of living—one without massacres and torn throats and bonfires of the fallen, without revenants or bastard armies or children ripped from their mothers’ arms to take their turn in the killing and dying.

Once, the lovers lay entwined in the moon’s secret temple and dreamed of a world that was a like a jewel-box without a jewel—a paradise waiting for them to find it and fill it with their happiness.

This was not that world.”

Laini Taylor
“So," he called to her back, "Just out of curiosity, you know, purely conversation and all, at what age will you be entertaining offers of marriage?"

"You think it'll be so easy?" she called back over her shoulder. "No way. There will be tasks. Like in a fairy tale."
"Sounds dangerous."
"Very, so think twice."

"No need," he said. "You're worth it.”

Laini Taylor
“I am one of billions. I am stardust gathered fleetingly into form. I will be ungathered. The stardust will go on to be other things someday and I will be free.”

Laini Taylor
“A dream dirty and bruised is better than no dream at all.”

Laini Taylor
“Imagine if [Juliet] woke up and he was still alive, but..." She swallowed, waiting out a tremor in her voice. "But [Romeo] had killed her whole family. And burned her city. And killed and enslaved her people.”

Laini Taylor
“It was brave," countered Issa. "It was rare. It was love, and it was beautiful.”

Laini Taylor
“Brimstone once told me that to stay true in the face of evil is a feat of strength.”

Laini Taylor
“Where am I and doing what?
You might well ask.
Freaky chick, you say?
You can't imagine.
I am priestess of a sandcastle
in a land of dust and starlight.”

12/14/2012 page 12
2.0% "Hopefully this does not disappoint!"
12/16/2012 page 73
13.0% "We are arisen, it read. It is your turn to die.""
12/16/2012 page 85
16.0% "Good so far but I honestly don't remember most of what happened in Daughter of Smoke & Bone. It probably would have been a good idea to reread it before I started this one."
12/18/2012 page 113
21.0% ""I love you, crossbar," whispered Karou, and petted it."
12/19/2012 page 122
23.0% "Gah no go back to Karou or Ziri! Or how about we go to Karou and Akiva? I'm so tempted to skip to the end because I'm just so impatient but so far I'm restraining myself. Let's see how long that lasts..."
12/22/2012 page 246
47.0% ""Well, imagine if she woke up and he was still alive, but..." She swallowed, waiting out a tremor in her voice. "But he had killed her whole family. And burned her city. And killed and enslaved her people.""
12/22/2012 page 303
58.0% "Maybe it's Brimstone's soul in the thurible?"
12/22/2012 page 305
58.0% "I just got chills. I hope it's him I really do."
12/22/2012 page 345
66.0% "Well I was a bit disappointed that my prediction didn't come true but I'm also happy at the same time. And I want to sob but I also want to smile. So many emotions at once. What has this book done to me?"
12/22/2012 page 404
78.0% "I'm getting teary eyed now. I seriously miss Brimstone."
12/22/2012 page 517
100.0% "How am I supposed to wait for book 3? HOW? I mean how can it just end like that and leave me hanging there?"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Annabel ♥ (new) - added it

Annabel ♥ Ooh, let me know how you like this one, I really liked the first book!

Erika I did too so I hope that this one lives up to my expectations!

message 3: by Ela (new)

Ela I've got the first one on my christmas list, I really want to read it!!

Erika Daughter of Smoke & Bone is amazing! If you get it I hope you enjoy it.

message 5: by Ela (new)

Ela Thank you, me too!!

Jada Both of the books are absolutely amazing! Enjoy!

Erika I just finished Days of Blood & Starlight (like five minutes ago!) and it was really good but I didn't think it was as good as Daughter of Smoke & Bone. I still really enjoyed it though!

Jada I think they're both good, but in different ways... Laini Taylor is really skilled.

Erika Yeah she is. I need the next one now!