Amber's Reviews > Slaughterhouse-Five

Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut

Jul 13, 08

bookshelves: fiction, high-school-required, capital-l-literature, required-reading-for-awesome
Read in September, 2001

This was the first Vonnegut I read! It was also part of another first. My AP English teacher, hardcore gal that Mrs Feasley was, had us do one "book brief" each month all senior year. A book brief was a hand-written book report usually ranging between 10-15 pages that we were expected to write during the school day. Before school, after school, during lunch, during any study halls, during her class and, though not officially sanctioned, any other class that wasn't important enough to skip. You would have to go over plot summary, significance of the title, symbols, literary techniques, character analysis of 3-5 main characters, and all kinds of other whatnot. And Slaughterhouse Five was the first book I read for one of those jobies. And thank GOURD. If it had been like, James Joyce or something Russian I never would have survived. This book was so great, like a super cool new boyfriend and you just can shut up about it. I had never read any meritorious literature (SORRY NATHANIEL HAWTHORN) like this and I just loved it. And I got to just write about it for hours and pages and pens worth. KV basically was my super cool new literary boyfriend. Years later, my real-life non-literary boyfriend (who is now my non-literary husband) read the copy I had read for the book brief and he was like, "What did you do? Highlight every single 'and so it goes'?" and I was like, "Well... yes. I wanted an exact figure!" True story.

Also, is about misery. Not just of war, but of being a white American male in the 50s. So it's a pretty great intro to KV. And also there are aliens! And sex. With a movie star! You'll love it. Time travel! There's that too. AND PICTURES!

Everybody wins.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Slaughterhouse-Five.