Kirsty's Reviews > An Object of Beauty

An Object of Beauty by Steve Martin

Feb 24, 12

bookshelves: arc-review-copy, fiction, humour
Read from February 04 to 14, 2012

I’ve watched a fair few movies featuring Steve Martin and loved them all. His comic timing is perfect and never fails to make me laugh, so when I saw he had a new novel out I thought I’d give it a go and see if his writing was as good as his acting. An Object of Beauty follows the life of Lacey Yeager as she makes her way in the art world – starting in the basement of Sotheby’s and working her way up to the top… meeting (and bedding) various men on the way.

The plot of this book is not its strongest point, but it meanders along and doesn’t go too slowly so I was happy to keep reading. The thing that makes this novel a good read is the characterisation of Lacey. She’s not the most likeable of people, but you can’t help but be fascinated by her life, her choices and her sheer ambition. Martin’s writing makes you want to know more about her. She will literally stop at nothing to get what she wants and is definitely what some would class as ruthless. He doesn’t go for all-out comedy either, preferring subtle, satirical humour, and it works really well. Another thing to note is that there is a lot of information on art history included in the narrative. Some may find this interesting, others not so much. I was somewhere in the middle.

Overall though, I found this to be a fun, entertaining read. I’ll definitely be picking up his other novels.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An Object of Beauty.

02/10/2012 page 159