Hayley's Reviews > Delivering Hope

Delivering Hope by Jennifer Ann Holt

Feb 25, 12

bookshelves: giveaways, first-reads, 2012, own
Read from February 24 to 25, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

Let's get the disclaimer out of the way first: I did win this as a Goodreads giveaway, but this is not a paid review...

A heart, it's a pretty basic plot. A married couple are having issues conceiving, and find out that the wife, Olivia, is infertile. She is crushed by this news, as all she has ever wanted to be was a mother. After one accidental relationship, eighteen-year-old high school graduate Allison finds herself pregnant and scared. The rest should speak for herself.

I have mixed feelings about this book. Whilst the story was moving and uplifting, it was fairly predictable, and I never really felt myself connecting with the characters. I also found the religious 'jargon' difficult to understand. As an atheist without any idea of even exactly what religion it was, I think that better explanations of some related things (like "visiting" for just catching up or talking) would made it more accessible to a wider audience. I think this lack of understanding also contributed to not being able to quite connect with the characters.

That aside, it's still a beautiful story, that really does fill you with 'hope' at the end. It seems insight into the challenges of both infertile families, and teenage pregnancy, and all the characters seemed different and well-defined. It was a heart-warming and up-lifting read, so if that's what you're looking for, than I would definitely recommend this book!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Delivering Hope.

02/24/2012 page 82
37.0% "Should I be reading a fourth book at the moment? Who knows. Am planning on having this one done in the next few days, though... So far, okay. Nothing special. All the religious talk is grating on my nerves a little bit, but I guess that's just who the characters are..."
02/24/2012 page 119
53.0% "This second part is turning into a real tear jerker, as 19-year-old Ally discovers she's pregnant, and has to fight as her whole world is turned upside down. Pretty easy to see where the story will go form here, but as Ally is hell-bent AGAINST adoption, will be an interesting ride to see how it ends..."