Larry Strattner's Reviews > A Discovery of Witches

A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness

Feb 02, 12

Read in January, 2012

One generally hesitates with direct comparisons since they are generally unfair for one reason or another, but the genre here begs it: This book about witches and vampires is to Twilight what a third grade reader is to Macbeth.

The story, essentially a romance and thus not my cup of tea, is loaded with erudite and insightful reference and observation. It is very well written, quite long and yet held my undivided attention up to its last sentence.

I was drawn to this story because the witch protagonist is not some bodice ripping hysteric but rather a strong, self-directed woman intent upon her goals and objectives. She is drawn well and sharply as is her barely restrained vampire lover. The book is not quite as adult as the fine predecessors of Anne Rice, but close. It's definitely worth the time of the more sophisticated reader, and that includes the intelligent YA group.

This is the first of a trilogy and I will definitely be reading number two, due this summer.