Erin's Reviews > A Storm of Swords

A Storm of Swords by George R.R. Martin

May 07, 12

Read from February 02 to May 06, 2012

Holy cow, I'm glad I finally finished. Not that I was unhappy with the book--I actually thought it was terrific, but never start a 900+ page book in February, listen to it kinda on audio, then read a few chapters at a time, and then take 3 MONTHS TO FINISH because you're reading other things. Because by the end of it, I just wanted to finish already, and that's not really the book's fault. That's my poor reading management!

No, this book was incredibly entertaining, right up to the last page. Tyrion is still irrepressible, and goes through some dramatic (and traumatic) episodes (I can't wait to see how his story plays out on the HBO series). I had no idea that Jaime--JAIME, OF ALL PEOPLE--could make me have sympathy for a sister-loving incestuous bastard. But he totally does! Go figure. He was my favorite new character of the series. Littlefinger is as slippery as ever; Dany's story barely kept my interest, again (I'm not sure why, but the dragons just aren't enough for me); Arya and the Hound are still badass (and Arya's conflicted emotions about the variety of people she has killed and keeps killing are so rich); and Jon gets some hardcore redemption. And Tywin Lannister, that magnificent bastard--he doens't get his own POV chapters, but his hand is felt all over the place. And Catelyn...oh Cat--her story just seemed shrouded in tragedy.

Unfortunately, I read ahead the synopses of books 4 and 5, which have gotten many scathing reviews, and after seeing who the POV chapters are about (and how little seems to happen in them), I don't know that I'm going to continue the series. It's such a commitment, and I'm not sure that this isn't a good conclusion for me (and--I know this is cheating--I read ahead the wiki for most of the main characters, so I know where they "end up"--which is good enough for me. It saves me about 1,800 pages!)

Martin is a master storyteller, but I'm not sure he has an endgame in mind, and without that, the story could just go on and on. So for now, this is my conclusion to these characters...and it's pretty satisfying. Good yarn, all the way around!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Storm of Swords.