Amber's Reviews > Flowers in the Attic

Flowers in the Attic by V.C. Andrews

Jul 13, 08

bookshelves: creepster, high-school-fun, young-lady-fiction, required-reading-for-awesome
Read in September, 1998

** spoiler alert ** I read this in 9th grade, which I think is the average (or possibly required age) people start reading VC Andrews. I had no idea what I was about to read when I picked it up and looking back, I don't know how I feel about my mom recommending it to me. In retrospect though, when I go back and read review and excepts of these books, I remember the tiiiniest percentage of raunchiness- the idea of it sticks with you more than the actual events in the books.

So, ok here is the deal: There is a beautiful family and the father DIES on his way home to his own fabulous birthday party. OH NO. Since he made all the money, the beautiful mother and her fabulous kids have to go live with Crazy Grandma. The kids are forced to live in the attic. And NOT LEAVE. EVER. And here is where I should have realized how the rest of the book (and the series, and all other VC Andrews books) was going: the grandma makes a list of rules and it seems fair enough until it's like "No masturbating, no nudity, no inappropriateness of any kind" etc etc. It's like Chekov's rifle- the list of anti-incest rules in the attic has to be disregarded by the third act. And that is basically what happens. The older brother and sister get together and that's creepy and the grandma poisons them resulting in the death of one of the younger kids and the mom eventually goes bitch-ass crazy and secretly remarries and the kids escape, but you know, are still terribly damaged and that is where the rest of the books come in. Do yourself a favor and read these things.

This about covers is:
natalie dee
nataliedee.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Flowers in the Attic.