Debbie Petersen's Reviews > Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood

Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood by Rebecca Wells

Jul 13, 08

bookshelves: absolute-drek
Recommended for: People who do not read books but would like to think they read one
Read in January, 2004

I think Vivi WAS a tap-dancing child abuser. Any discussion of this fact ends at the "being whipped with the belt" scene. Vivi had no right to be enraged when this fact comes to light--she should have been embarrassed, yes. Her daughter arguably should not have revealed this dirty laundry but should have worked it through with her mother privately.

According to this book, a scrapbook of silly adventures with Vivi's zany friends makes that behavior forgivable...not an apology or explanation from Vivi. Daughter is chastened and forgives dear Vivi after reading the scrapbook.

Another thing...PLEASE, spare me the "Southern Women" stories. I live in the South and have never met anyone remotely like this...Thank God!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Eileen (new)

Eileen I agree with you about the "Southern Women" stories, Debbie. They're about as realistic as a fake Southern accent from a person born in Brooklyn!

I think child abuse, however, should definitely be revealed. Keeping it private is what allows it to continue. The mother's rage shows that it would have done little good to try to work it through privately, anyway.

Maria Debbie, I also live in the South, and my goodness, there are PLENTY of people like Vivi and the Ya-Yas.

message 3: by KnowledgeGeek (new)

KnowledgeGeek You've obviously missed the fact that Vivi was mentally ill. A fairly obvious point which contributed to her neglectful & abusive behavior toward her child.

message 4: by Dima (new) - added it

Dima Yn read the prequel to this book to learn exactly how much of an abuser Vivian was.

Maria I believe it's called Ya-Ya's in bloom. And, yes, way more than just physical beating. Way more.