Stefan Yates's Reviews > Ender's Game

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

May 09, 12

bookshelves: favorites, science-fiction
Read on January 01, 2009 — I own a copy

Young Adult Science Fiction just doesn't get any better this. From the first chapter on, Ender's Game grabbed my interest and didn't let me go until the end. What a well-though-out, well written, thoughtful and entertaining novel this turned out to be.

I think that one thing that I really liked about this book is that it takes us through Ender's schooling and training in one fell swoop instead of spreading it out over several books. Yes, I know that this is a series, but this book feels like it is a stand-alone novel rather than a Book 1 of X in a series. Don't get me wrong, I am a fan of YA series, but it's nice to read something that doesn't leave you feeling like you must go on to the next book right away. I'm sure that I will follow up on the rest of the series in the future, but I don't feel like I have to do it now.

I really enjoyed most of the characters in the book and really hated those that I was supposed to hate. The action in the training scenes is nicely offset by Ender's experience outside of class and his struggles making friends, fitting in with the others and generally growing up.

Overall, I thought that this was a great book that I would recommend to teens and adults alike. There is a lot that one can get out of this book just off of the surface and many more rewards to be found by digging deeper into the text and analyzing things more critically.
13 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ender's Game.