Craig's Reviews > Noble House

M 50x66
Jul 04, 07

Recommended for: Anyone
Read in January, 2001

In many ways, this is my favorite Clavell novel. I'm kind of a big sucker for it.

It's a huge, vastly sweeping epic contained entirely within a single week in Hong Kong. It's a blockbuster of a novel in every sense, bringing equal amounts of entertainment and intellectual provocation.

There's something else going on in this novel which gives it added joy for those who have devoured the rest of the Asian saga -- in Noble House, Clavell begins to tie together the characters from all his other novels. The story focuses on the decendants of the characters in Tai-Pan, while decendants of the characters of Shogun also make appearances. And Peter Marlowe, who is Clavell's stand in for himself from King Rat, runs throughout the novel as a fairly important subplot, as an author who has recently achieved literary success with a novel about Changi, and is now researching a novel about Hong Kong (a delightful piece of hyper-fiction, which makes the reader all the more aware that this fictionalized world is based on real people -- the Struans of this world being based on the real life Jardines).
11 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Noble House.

message 1: by Mustafa-Jafar (new)

Mustafa-Jafar I agree, this book is the best of the Asian Saga. James Clavell was much inspired by Ayn Rand while creating his characters for the book. And not many people are aware that Struans was loosely modelled on Jardine-Matheson; Ian Dunross was based on the tai-pan Sir Hugh Barton too. Let me know what you think of my review and site in general too - www.factbehindfiction.com looking for some constructive feedback and criticism. Thanks.

message 2: by Stephen (new) - added it

Stephen Robertson Thanks for the info since I just started reading Noble House I think i'll stop and start shogun instead

message 3: by Adan (new) - added it

Adan Which descendents from "Shogun" come up in this novel?!