B0nnie's Reviews > The Hunger Games

Recommended to B0nnie by: somebody naked
Recommended for: Mister Jones
Read from April 01 to 03, 2012, read count: 13

*****spoilers*****

Like everyone else, I was drawn to the underdog of The Hunger Games. The unfairness of the games is probably the thing that bothered me the most, how some of the contestants were so much better prepared than others.

Look, here you have a bunch of kids, yanked from their homes, sent to fight to the death. There is the underdog contestant. She had little chance of winning. And there's that other contestant who's by far the most qualified to win, and has basically been trained from birth, fully hard-ass enough to survive. This other character has such astonishing intuition that it is almost on par with Edward Cullen's mind reading skills (oddly though, except when something is completely obvious). Further, any moral dilemmas - such as having to kill friends - are taken care of by outside forces. And cornered? No problem, there'll be something handy within reach to solve the problem. Talk about born under a lucky star.

So yeah, things always worked out for Katniss.

Then you have that other contestant who is far less lucky. Smaller, yet shrewd, observant, intelligent, able to replicate complicated patterns, at first able to avoid getting killed. Not attacking the others. Having no weapon skills, just hoping to survive by default. Her clever and risky idea at the Cornucopia worked so well that it brought on a fit of jealousy from Katniss - probably in the same mean spirit that inspired her to come up with the nickname "Foxface". Why not something less catty, say for example "Vixen" - which still plays on the fox reference yet also to female beauty and cleverness. Vixie for short, I should think.

Vixie never, ever called Katniss "Arrowheadface". Nor Peeta "Doughface".

I felt the full weight of the evil of this contest when Vixie died so tragically and so very ironically. Her laughter, her unique abilities, her sleek red hair, gone, gone with a handful of berries. The mean trick fate played on her with those berries was so opposite to the luck that always went to Katniss. Here I felt the pain of living in a dystopia like Panem, where some are given advantages and others are not. My tears were flowing as I read Miss V's final moment: "What’s left of Foxface’s emaciated body is lifted into the air. I can see the red glint of her hair in the sunlight."

And then later when attacked by the mutts, all Katniss can think of is “It’s her!” continuing her weird jealous obsession with the one girl that could've beaten her - if the games hadn't been so fixed in Katniss's favour.

Poor poor, unlucky thing. No fantastic Mr. Fox for you, no Jamie, no D. H. Lawrence, dear Miss Vixie. No, life is not Fair & Balanced.

I leave this musical tribute for you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hunger Games.

Quotes B0nnie Liked

Suzanne Collins
“That should have been my strategy! By the time I’ve worked through the emotions of surprise, admiration, anger, jealousy, and frustration, I’m watching that reddish mane of hair disappear into the trees well out of shooting range.”
Suzanne Collins, The Hunger Games

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Nilesh Kashyap I completely agree that the fight seemed to be fixed in favour of Katniss by some supernatural force. To me she was not the heroine of the story.

B0nnie No indeed, it was Vixie. So tragic.

Nilesh Kashyap Collins didn't tell anything about any other tributes, the story would have been more bearable. It's only about self obsessed Katniss.

B0nnie One must fill in blanks - Collins really makes the reader do some of her work.

B0nnie a lot of it, actually

Nilesh Kashyap Really a lot. I just didn't felt connected to story, so much killing and violence and I wasn't sad at all because I was not emotionally connected to characters. They were too shallow.

B0nnie yes I understand, sometimes you just can't make the connection - it's usually because the writer has left too much out. I think that's true here, although it seems that Collins has given enough hints that have enabled many people to just go with it, and that's OK too.

Nilesh Kashyap Did it occur to you that this story would have been very good if written without first person perspective.

B0nnie yes you are right - you couldn't be so sure of her winning!

Nilesh Kashyap never thought that but now you have made it obvious. So many flaws yet it is so much loved. But movie is good.

Nilesh Kashyap Tell me what do you think of my review.

B0nnie I loved it Nilesh! And I liked it too. I's funny, well written and all excellent points. I'm seeing the movie this weekend - it looks pretty good. But I bet 'Foxface' won't live up to my expectations :-(

Nilesh Kashyap Well movie has made certain good changes. I know you liked her but no way Foxface could be made heroine. Simply it's like, the other tributes are just less important.

B0nnie I thought it might, the Hunger Games does seem very cinematic.
As for < '!' > well, I'll get over it...

Nilesh Kashyap This is what happens:
before- authors used to simply write the stories and they would be made into movies.
now- authors (not all) want to write stories that can be turned into good movies.
THG belongs to later.

Melki The musical tribute's a nice touch.

B0nnie thx Melki, I love FMF

B0nnie oh, I should have used this

rachel Ha, I loved Foxface too.

B0nnie rachel wrote: "Ha, I loved Foxface too.
She's not very foxy in the movie, though. Only way you initially know it's her is that she's a redhead."

If only they had gotten Megan Fox for the part. That would've been so ironic.

message 21: by Moira (new) - added it

Moira Russell Foxface was awesome.

B0nnie Moira wrote: "Foxface was awesome."
I agree Moira, and really who else was there to like? of the 24 tributes, 16 weren't even given names, never mind personalities. They functioned like Orcs, something handy to be killed with no remorse or guilt required.

message 23: by Moira (new) - added it

Moira Russell Yeah, if nothing else, the movie at least gives them faces and possible names -- they won't be as depersonalized as they were in Katniss' narration. Which of course was inevitable since her viewpoint was so limited, but it did have the squicky effect of dehumanizing everyone she didn't actively give a damn about. (Arguably that is one of the main themes of the trilogy, what it is to be human and what you might sacrifice of it to survive and is your existence worthwhile after that, &c &c, but Collins doesn't go into it very deeply.)

message 24: by mark (new) - rated it 4 stars

mark monday i really love your focus on poor Foxface! i felt the same way. poor, clever, doomed Foxface.

B0nnie mark wrote: "i really love your focus on poor Foxface! i felt the same way. poor, clever, doomed Foxface."

...the red glint of her hair in the sunlight :'-(

Shovelmonkey1 I've not read any of these and I'm probably not going to see the film either - I'm afraid that my brain has already filed them on the same shelf-o-hoopla as harry potter and twilight. But from what i can tell this book is basically just "The Running man" by Stephen King, but for kids? Or am i wrong?

B0nnie Shovelmonkey1 wrote: "I've not read any of these and I'm probably not going to see the film either - I'm afraid that my brain has already filed them on the same shelf-o-hoopla as harry potter and twilight. But from what..."

I've not read The Running man (nor The Long Walk for that matter) but it compares to just about any dystopian story where people must compete to the death for whatever reason. I like to think of the Star Trek episode Bread and Ciruses, *Panem et Circenses*. Yes it's cleaned up for a younger audience, the brutality all in good fun.

Shovelmonkey1 Don't read the book just watch the film with Arnie "i'll be back" schwartzenegger instead. Its totally hilarious and vaguely camp despite its best efforts to be dystopian.

B0nnie Schwarzenegger and Steven Seagal - both hilarious without ever trying...

Shovelmonkey1 Can we add some van dam to that list too?

message 31: by Mark (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mark Liked the review Bonnie and as is so often the case, it makes me look at the book in a differnt light. I love this site

B0nnie Mark wrote: "Liked the review Bonnie and as is so often the case, it makes me look at the book in a differnt light. I love this site"

Thanks Mark - yes I know what you mean. I love the reviews that give you new ideas about a book, and indeed whole new ideas what to read - even when the approach is tongue-in-cheek...

message 33: by Brad (new) - rated it 3 stars

Brad I love that you love Foxface, Bonnie. Well spotted.

B0nnie Brad wrote: "I love that you love Foxface, Bonnie. Well spotted."

Hey Brad thanks. Me and serious fox are a team.
description

Ronyell Awesome review Bonnie!

message 36: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen Hill Did you ever think that the reason the other tributes were not given names and we were not allowed to learn of their life is because it isn't their story. Collins wrote the story about Katniss, the reason the entire book is in first person. If the book had been written about another tributes story then would you be asking to learn more about the girl with the bow?
Katniss didn't know anything of her other tributes because she was never given to chance to know them, and that was the point, that was the intention of the game makers, was it not? To force the tributes to kill other tributes in a way that is ever so sinister and chilling.

B0nnie Ronyell wrote: "Awesome review Bonnie!"

Thanks Ronyell

B0nnie Jen wrote: "Did you ever think that the reason the other tributes were not given names and we were not allowed to learn of their life is because it isn't their story. Collins wrote the story about Katniss, the..."

No, I did not think of this. I realize my analysis is shallow and silly. Thanks for your thoughts Jen.

Brittany Cormier I am in the process of reading the book, but I have seen the movie. I remember being so curious about Foxface in the film! If I could get a Hunger Games book from any other character's POV it'd be hers.

However, there are a few explanations for some of the issues you took. In the book Katniss is used to seeing people die, it happens all the time in District 12. For her sanity's sake, she was likely become more apathetic toward death. This why even someone like Foxface, who never harmed anyone, dying wouldn't bother her.

I also agree with you about how obnoxiously lucky Katniss is, but at least it is explained. She has a team who has made her appear desirable through the media. These people then give her money and tokens to use in the games. Also, if she is popular with audiences, the game makers likely wouldn't kill her off right away. So yeah she's lucky, but at least there is reasoning behind it. (though going to the games with a boy who happens to be in love with you, is a tad bit absurd and lucky)

Finally, in naming her Foxface it sadly helps to dehumanize her. The less you see as human, the easier it'd be to kill her later if it came to that. This isn't just Katniss though. All the other tributes (minus the Careers) do not interact with each other while in the Capitol. It is often stated that it is unusual that Katniss and Peeta interact because even tributes from the same district don't spend time together. This is because they all know they'll have to kill each other soon. The less you get attached to someone, hypothetically, the easier it is to kill them.

Loved your review :)

message 40: by Isabel (last edited Mar 23, 2013 06:43AM) (new)

Isabel Nilesh wrote: "Collins didn't tell anything about any other tributes, the story would have been more bearable. It's only about self obsessed Katniss."

Agreed. I wanted so badly to learn about Cato and Foxface and even Gale and Peeta at times. But alas, it was all glossed over by the 1st person present-tense. (Don't get me wrong, it was a unique style that initially drew me in and I did like Katniss as a character, but I just felt the point of view was limited and didn't give us the full story.)

Brittany Cormier Isabel wrote: "Nilesh wrote: "Collins didn't tell anything about any other tributes, the story would have been more bearable. It's only about self obsessed Katniss."

Agreed. I wanted so badly to learn about Cato..."

This was one of those weird ways in which I found that the movie did it better. I loved that they gave Cato a monologue at the end of the film. You get to learn a little more about his character, and that he isn't a totally flat character either.

message 42: by Mada (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mada Who says Foxface was beautiful? Maybe she just had a oblong face shape that reminds you of a fox. I don't think Katniss was catty. Foxface reminds me of a girl from school who used to take advantage of other people's work.