Sara's Reviews > Kiffe Kiffe Tomorrow

Kiffe Kiffe Tomorrow by Faïza Guène

Feb 02, 12

bookshelves: 2012
Read on February 01, 2012

I picked up this book by chance after finding it on the shelf at the library, and it was an extremely quick read. Doria's a teenager in France, born to Moroccan immigrant parents. Her dad took off and returned to Morocco to marry a younger woman who could produce a son, so now Doria's left with her mom in their crummy apartment, talks to only the other immigrants in her complex and the social worker who visits them, and sort of goes through life filled with anger and apathy for her lot and her situation.

The book is written in a very train-of-thought manner. There's no real plot except to be a coming-of-age story told from a different perspective than usual, that of a young immigrant outside of Paris. This made the book different from anything else I've read and shed light on the mindset of these sort of immigrants who don't really fit in and somehow fall through the cracks of French society despite the government's efforts to care for and integrate them. Doria's anger felt authentic, and I could see why she was disillusioned with her life, but at the same time, she didn't take a whole lot of action to change anything and simply let things happen while she complained about how bad she had it.

I did enjoy Doria's voice overall and her casual perspective on the problems faced by seemingly everyone in her apartment complex. However, I wish there had been more to this novel instead of having it just coast through various scenes held together by nothing more than the fact that they were fragments of Doria's life. I think I enjoyed the book more in retrospect, as I can now reflect on the theme of the entire book, but there really wasn't a lot to it, resulting in a novel that felt very thin overall without any truly significant events.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kiffe Kiffe Tomorrow.