Sam Quixote's Reviews > Love and Rockets: New Stories #4

Love and Rockets by Gilbert Hernández

Feb 02, 12

Read in February, 2012

The book concludes the storyline set up in the last book called "The Love Bunglers" about Maggie and Ray's on again off again relationship which Jaime draws, as well as "Browntown" which takes place when Maggie was a teen. Gilbert writes/draws a bizarre and funny vampire story and a shorter one about a fading alcoholic movie star.

All the stories were excellent especially Gilbert's as I've never fully gotten into "Love and Rockets" proper as there's too much backstory to go through to be up to date on the characters. The vampire story is probably the best part of the book, partly because I like those odd stories Gilbert puts out ("Speak of the Devil" is a brilliant book), but I think he's the better artist of the two.

As good as the Maggie stories are, Jaime's artwork makes it hard to distinguish between male characters - they just all look too similar! The ending of the book is very dramatic but I think it would've been clearer if I could identify who Ray was and who the other male characters were. As it was, I was confused as to what had happened and who Maggie was with in the end. Was it Ray? Was it someone else? It was probably Ray anyway. I think...

Fans of the series will love this new book while newcomers will still find plenty to enjoy inside. A great collection of the Hernandez brothers' latest stories.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love and Rockets.