Sheldon's Reviews > Empire State of Mind: How Jay-Z Went From Street Corner to Corner Office

Empire State of Mind by Zack O'Malley Greenburg

Feb 04, 12

bookshelves: biography, documentary
Read from February 02 to 04, 2012

I enjoyed this book even though Jay-Z didn't actually contribute to it. I've read some reviews and think a lot of what you get out of this book is based on what you come in expecting. If you are looking for a Jay-Z biography... this will disappoint you. If you are looking for a telling of some of the more key events in his life from a business perspective and a bit of insight into how he deals with people and ventures, you'll find it interesting.

I think the author talks to some people who provide good details on their past dealing with Jay though they may have some negative feelings toward him as most of them didn't part ways with him on friendly terms. Given that, I still thought the book wasn't too negatively biased. As he says... he's "a business man" and that's mainly how he's painted in this book.

There were a few areas that I thought the author dwells too long on; one was his ventures in alcohol which seemed to be a small detail in the grand scheme of things to spend that amount of time.

Overall, a good read or listen with an external view of Jay-Z from some people he has worked with in the past.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Empire State of Mind.

02/02/2012 page 100