Deanna Against Censorship's Reviews > The Sleepwalkers

The Sleepwalkers by Paul Grossman

Feb 02, 2012

bookshelves: favorites, top-all-time-books, mystery
Read from January 30 to February 01, 2012

You must read this book. It starts slow. Do not give up. This is one of those precious books that completely surrounds the reader. One cries, shouts and mourns, yet one has hope. The hero is flawed but has a deep moral compass. He tries to save others. He fails some. He succeeds some. He carries on. I have read many stories and histories of this time. One knows these monsters' story. What made this book touch this reader so deeply is that the characters were just trying to live their lives. They could not believe that such outrageous bullies could ever destroy their beloved country. As the truth was hurled against them, they had to make decisions that would destroy themselves or save themse;ves. It was all told in very personal stories that were not about fighting the Nazis but about finding truth and spreading truth and seeing though the coming darkness. I am a confessed bookaholic. I finish a book, I must start a new one. Some very few cherished times, I must stop, think about the story & charactes. I must think though feelings brought roaring to my mind and heart by the story. This is such a book. I will read it again after a while.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sleepwalkers.

06/10/2016 marked as: read