Kendra's Reviews > Everybody Sees the Ants

Everybody Sees the Ants by A.S. King

Feb 02, 12

Ever since reading Please Ignore Vera Dietz, A S King has been one of my favorite authors. Her writing is clever and thought-provoking, humorous but serious. I was a little torn between giving this book a 4 and a 5, but ultimately I didn't love it quite as much as Vera, so I went with a 4.

This story is narrated by Lucky Linderman, a less-than-lucky teenage boy who is discovering that life is very hard. He's in trouble at school, he's the perpetual victim of bully Nader, his parents seem ill-equipped to parent him, and his father has never really recovered from the fact that HIS father never returned from Vietnam. As life spirals further downward for Lucky, his mother decides a trip to Arizona to stay with her brother is what the entire family needs. And she turns out to be right. While on the trip, Lucky learns that everyone has problems - even those whose lives' appear perfect. In other words, "everybody sees the ants."

There are lots of great ideas to consider while reading this, and there are some semi-crazy elements such as the vivid (and real?!) dreams Lucky has about his MIA grandfather. Although I liked this part of the book, I think the shifting back and forth from reality to dream world is maybe what kept me from giving this a 5. Still, I loved this and will be recommending it to many students.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Everybody Sees the Ants.