Rissie's Reviews > The Lover's Dictionary

The Lover's Dictionary by David Levithan

Nov 01, 12

Read in February, 2012

I saw this book on NPR's website. The way it's written seems very creative. Whether or not it's any good remains to be seen.

~~~~~

Is it possible to love the way a story is told, but dislike the story itself? I hope so, because that’s what I’m feeling about this book.

What did I love about the book? First, I loved the way the story was presented – a dictionary in which each definition pieces together the story of a relationship. Second, I loved how poetic the writing felt – sparse but weighty.

What did I not like about this book? The heavy handed romanticism, the wide-eyed bewilderment with love, the obsessive nature of his relationship, the feeling that he was speaking in slow, whispered tones … and mostly, the feeling that he was about to cry at the beauty of his own words.
11 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lover's Dictionary.

Comments (showing 1-4)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Jennifer Tong Love your review. Scathing, "... The feeling that he was about to cry at the beauty of his own word." Spectacular!

I enjoyed the book and some of their lighter "real" moments. But the cheating and the lack of ability to act... I had no time for that part of them.

Rissie Maybe I was a bit harsh. It can’t be that bad since I just bought a copy to give to a friend. (He’s a diehard romantic.)

Jennifer Tong Wish I could have sent you my copy!

Voula  Michela (otl1987) Exactly what I thought! And of course, I would also buy it and recommend it for someone diehard romantic