Caitlin's Reviews > The Time Traveler's Wife

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

Jul 15, 09

bookshelves: ugh
Read in July, 2009

** spoiler alert ** Try as I might, I am unable to finish this book. Maybe I will be able to finish it in the future, but I am halfway through it and still struggling with trying to get into the story. I love the concept, this man & woman involved in a relationship that seemingly has no boundaries, even though they first met when he was at his forty year old self (travelling through time) and she was six. It is interesting to follow their relationship, particularly from her perspective, since they don't actually begin their relationship until in their twenties, when they meet in real time. Still, I dislike it. And I don't know why. It isn't because of the characters, or the plot. The writing isn't bad. But it's kind of a drag to read, for some reason.

UPDATE: Finished the book, overall, not impressed. I feel the end events of the story is far more engaging than the rest of the book. But I hated what a self-fulfilling prophet Henry was. He knew things were going to happen and did not seek to change his course; why force yourself to live a way that you have already seen, instead of doing things on a whim, based on what you want to do at that moment instead of on what believe is the future? And Clare is not at all easy to relate her; at times, I found I hated her character particularly as the novel nears its close. She is extremely selfish & does not consider the effects that time traveling must have on Henry, and what they might have on his offspring. This has a very promising premise but is ultimately disappointing.

Comments (showing 1-2)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 2: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Interesting...I have this book, which someone gave me, and I haven't read it yet. Now I'm curious to see if I have the same reaction.

Caitlin I am still working on it because I really want to know what happens. I don't know what the deal is because there are so many aspects of it that I do like. I guess it just happens sometimes.