Tina's Reviews > The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Apr 25, 12

bookshelves: ebooks, 2012, tfg-100, sci-fi
Read from February 27 to March 20, 2012

Original post at One More Page

When I was new with my current job, one of my colleagues told me about his favorite book, one that, according to him, made him laugh like a crazy loon by himself. I didn't really take note of it, since our reading genres were very different, and even when he lent me a copy of the book, I still didn't give much thought about it. When I first met my new friends at the book club, I saw one of them carry this big black book that looks like a dictionary...or a Bible, even. Just like that, I found myself encountering that same book again.

Of course, I still didn't read it, because I just wasn't interested. But ever since we started a 100 Favorite Books list in our book club, and ever since we all decided to discuss books face to face, I had run out of excuses. After years and years of not paying attention to the book, I finally picked up a copy and read The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams.

How do I describe what this book without spoiling things, or without thinking everything I am writing is absolutely ridiculous is a bit of a problem, so I will just not write about that. Instead, I'll write about what this book has: the end of the world. Oh, but not the Mayan kind with natural disasters. There's also a poor guy who just happened to be at one place at a certain time who may not be so poor now because he practically becomes the last human being everywhere. And then there were aliens. Spaceships, too. And finally, the Ultimate Question. Or, not.

My friend was right, though -- this book was very funny. I found myself giggling every now and then to this book, often times while I was on my commute to work or some other place. I've always been wary about sci-fi stuff because I feel like my brain cannot comprehend much of it, but I found The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy quite readable even if it was absolutely absurd at some point. Maybe that's really the point.

It's funny, yes, but I didn't really find it absolutely hilarious. It's good, but I don't really have the urge to get the next ones and read it immediately (although they did say it gets better there). I enjoyed it, but perhaps not quite as much as my friends enjoyed it.

However, I did enjoy discussing this book with my book club over breakfast. With questions about favorite characters, what we'll do in case the world ends and if we'll allow ourselves to have a babel fish (of course - very useful for travel!). Having a group of friends to discuss a book about in detail makes me like the book a little bit more, possibly because I tend to associate the memories with the book.

Goodreads Filipino Group -  Face to Face Book Discussion # 3 (Photo c/o Kwesi)
Goodreads Filipino Group - Face to Face Book Discussion # 3 (Photo c/o Kwesi)

And because it had to be commented: what kind of answer is 42, anyway?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

02/29/2012
5.0% 1 comment
03/01/2012
11.0% "I never could get the hang of Thursdays."
03/02/2012
15.0% "The towel thing actually makes sense." 1 comment
03/07/2012
27.0% "Babel fish!" 3 comments
show 2 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Veronica Oh I hope you get to read this soon! It's so much fun! Humor is very british but it's so clever.

Tina Veronica wrote: "Oh I hope you get to read this soon! It's so much fun! Humor is very british but it's so clever."

I know, it's long overdue! There's a book discussion for this in the Filipinos group on March so I will read it by then. :)