Raissa's Reviews > Miracle in The Andes

Miracle in The Andes by Nando Parrado

Feb 23, 12

Read from February 15 to 22, 2012

Incredible story, brilliantly told. The author very eloquently articulates his views on God / spirituality / our place in the universe at the end of the book. I agree wholeheartedly with his personal theology. Here's most of it:

I deeply respect the faith of my friends, but, to be honest, as hard as I prayed for a miracle in the Andes, I never felt the personal presence of God. At least, I did not feel God as most people see him. I did feel something larger than myself, something in the mountains and glaciers and the glowing sky that, in rare moments, reassured me, and made me feel that the world was orderly and loving and good. If this was God, it was not God as a being or a spirit or some omnipotent, superhuman mind. It was not a God who would choose to save us or abandon us, or change in any way. It was simply a silence, wholeness, an awe inspiring simplicity. It seemed to reach me through my own feelings of love, and I have often thought that when we feel what we call love, we are really feeling our connection to this awesome presence. I don't pretend to understand what it is or what it wants from me. I don't want to understand these things. I have no interest in any God who can be understood, who speaks to us in one holy book or another, and who tinkers with our lives according to some divine plan, as if they were characters in a play. How can I make sense of a God who sets one religion above the rest, who answers one prayer and ignores another, who sends 16 young men home and leaves 29 others dead on a mountain?
Now I understand that to be certain - about God, about anything - is impossible. I have lost my need to know. In those unforgettable conversations I had with Arturo as he lay dying, he told me the best way to find faith was by having the courage to doubt. I remember those words every day, and I doubt, and I hope, and in this crude way I tried to grope my way toward truth.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Miracle in The Andes.