Nicolo Yu's Reviews > X-Men: First Class: Class Portraits

X-Men by Dean Haspiel

Feb 04, 12

bookshelves: collected-comics
Read on February 02, 2012 — I own a copy

I tried out this collection of X-Men First Class one-shots because I enjoyed the two miniseries and specials penned by Jeff Parker. This compilation does not have Parker in any creative capacity but various creators working on the one-shots. Still it has an interesting artistic line-up, mixing industry veteran in Howard Chaykin, with relative newcomers like Nuno Plati and Juan Doe and someone with indie cred like Dean Haspiel.

Chaykin gave a well drawn contribution as expected. I was initially excited for Juan Doe’s chapter, given his reputation for his striking Marvel covers but I ended up impressed by Plati’s Jean Grey story instead. Doe’s aping of the original miniseries’ Roger Cruz’ style ended flat. I wished he used his style more, instead of the glimpses he offered in some panels. I really liked that Dean Haspiel has an art style that evokes Mike Allred’s; he’s a creator whose independent comics work I must check out.

I find myself enjoying this Marvel GN trim size. It is smaller than a regular trade paperback but it is larger than manga digest. It is handy to read and lends itself to an excellent travel reading companion.

Overall, this is a fun book to read, easy and light with great stories and art. In fact, this can be a good gateway comic for new and young readers to start with the Marvel Universe.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read X-Men.

02/02/2012 page 24
17.0% "I expected this to a Jeff Psrker and Roger Cruz, but it seems this is a collection of one shots in the vein of the X-Men First Class miniseries. The first chapter actually has Howard Chaykin contribute a Magneto chapter. Already this is proving an excellent spur of the moment purchase."
02/02/2012 page 48
33.0% "The Jean Grey chapter is done by an artist I've never heard of until this book. Nuno Plati, gets to do the full art, which includes the colors and suffice to say he has potential. I wonder why he never moved on to bigger books."
02/02/2012 page 72
50.0% "I was looking forward to the Angel and Iceman chapter because of the Juan Doe art. I ended up disappointed because Doe instead aped much of Roger Cruz's style. I would have preferred he had done it his own art style. Still, there are some pages where his unique artistic voice does shine through, and these are in the monster pages."
02/02/2012 page 96
67.0% "I'm liking Dean Haspiel's art. It's got a Mike Allred vibe to it. I need to check out his indie work."
02/02/2012 page 108
75.0% "It's a nice short story but stylistically doesn't fit in with the rest of the X-Men stories. I guess Marvel was trying to pad the page count of this collection."
02/02/2012 page 130
90.0% "The last chapter, featuring Marvel Girl, Hulk and Spider-Man fits the First Class feel. This collection ends on a good note."