Pat's Reviews > Prester John

Prester John by John Buchan

Feb 02, 12

Read on January 01, 1963 — I own a copy

It's almost 50 years since I read this book but I well remember how much I enjoyed it as a youngster. I'm looking forward to reading it again one day soon, now that I have managed to get a free copy via Project Gutenberg.
www.gutenberg.org
I wonder if I'll still enjoy it?

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Prester John.

message 1: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Lane I read it at school as a set book and finished it way ahead of time. The racism is normal for the time, my parents are 85 and would see it as normal. Its a brilliant read, you will enjoy it.

message 2: by Pat (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pat Rebecca wrote: "I read it at school as a set book and finished it way ahead of time. The racism is normal for the time, my parents are 85 and would see it as normal. Its a brilliant read, you will enjoy it."

Thanks for your comment Rebecca, have you read this again since school? I'm wondering how I will react now to Buchan's characters beliefs. It would be interesting to know if you still enjoyed the book as much now as you did at school.
I know the racism was normal for the time of writing so didn't seem odd to me when I read it as a teen. I agree it was a brilliant book. A true really ripping yarn.
Whilst I'd love a re-read, I'm a little wary of reading it again as I don't want to destroy the memory of the enjoyment I had reading it way back whenever it was (early 60's at a guess)

message 3: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Lane Yes it was the same time as I read it, it must have been a standard for the time. I went to grammar school in Wales, how about you? Yes, I am rereading with an eBook, and so far, enjoying it as much, if not more. At school, I dont think I got the political overtones as much. I appreciate your hesitation though, I reread tales of robin hood which though entertaining, wasn't half so good the second time without a cosy chair by my grannies fireside, and the smell of my cooking jacket potato coming from under the grate !

message 4: by Pat (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pat Rebecca wrote: "Yes it was the same time as I read it, it must have been a standard for the time. I went to grammar school in Wales, how about you? Yes, I am rereading with an eBook, and so far, enjoying it as muc..."

I was at Lymm Grammar (between Warrington and Altrincham) my Dad was in RN so I was also at a Forces school for a while about then too. Not sure where I read Prester John.
I have a copy of it on e reader but have so many books to read I haven't got into this one again yet.
I've often found that much of the joy of some thing or place is gone if & when you return.
I look forward to your review when you finish your re-read