Chy's Reviews > Demian

1917722
Apr 15, 14

bookshelves: favorites
Read in February, 2012

In Goodreads Member Paquita Maria Sanchez's GR review of it, she pegged a good chunk of my experience with this book. Like here:

...this book is a five star for me personally. TODAY. I largely chalk this up to the cosmos aligning in pitch-perfect timing in my choosing to read it. Maybe I will change my mind one day. Maybe you will read it and feel that I've read too much into it.

When I started this book, I was sighing a lot because Sinclair goes on and on (and on) about this experience with this kid, Kromer.

Yeah, Kromer's a bully and all that, but holy crap, Sinclair, you did not just become a demon in hell.

At the same time, I'm thinking, "Yeah, but he's ten, and that first experience where you decide to lie to your parents feels like the end of the world, right?"

"Yeah, but," I counter, "the narrator is an adult, taking us back to when he was ten. It's just too much and it makes it drag."

And it was. But at the same time, once I got through ten-year-old Sinclair's troubles, I no longer minded how dragged-out they had seemed. It was weird.

From there, I can't review the book or say why I feel the power from it that I do. If I did, it might lose its magic over me and I can't have that.

But it's odd, how many people I've heard say this book "came to them" at "just the right time," like a cosmic event. I didn't know about others saying such things until after I read it, but during reading I repeatedly had the thought, "Holy crap, my whole life has led up to me reading this book!"

"Oh, c'mon," I'd counter, "isn't that just a little dramatic?"

Maybe not, maybe so. I don't know. But I do know that I finished the book last night and then put it in the freezer. This morning I got it out and shelved it with Jonathan Livingston Seagull, The Little Prince and others that were cosmically well-timed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Demian.