Rowan's Reviews > The Pilgrim's Progress in Modern English

The Pilgrim's Progress in Modern English by John Bunyan

Feb 02, 12

Read in February, 2012

After half dozen attempts I have finally been able to read and complete this classic that is so loved by so many people thanks to some wisdom received about choosing an edition in modern english rather than a reprint in the language that it was originally written.

Like many reviews here I found the poetic allegories easy to understand but frustratingly difficult and off putting to read. I would call it a test for the reader for the journey especially at the beginning. That said once I got going with the narrative it was very easy to follow. I did find it abit odd at first with most of the characters having simple verb names but I think that is where the genius of the presentation of the christian faith itself begins in this book. I certainly saw parts of myself in characters who didn't make it to the celestial city.

I am thankful I paid a bit extra for this edition, the biblical references at the end of each chapter were most helpful.

Admittedly I enjoyed the second half about Christiana a great deal more than the first half about Christian. I found there was more depth and clearer explanations given, particularly Mercy shone through as an inspirational type character. It was great to be taken by surprise by the ending I didn't expect.

Overall i would recommend this book to be read by all christians in their own time and to push through any inital difficulties.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Pilgrim's Progress in Modern English.