Lou's Reviews > The Cove

The Cove by Ron Rash

Jul 23, 12

bookshelves: march-2012, mystery-thriller, historical-fiction
Read from March 30 to April 01, 2012

This was a wonderful historical story and Ron Rash is a writer to add alongside great southern gothic styled writers. Just as many have mentioned Ron Rash strikes up feelings of being present with great writers such as Steinbeck and Cormac McCarthy.
This story leaves a mark with characters that are lonely and modest, rich in kindness and deeply warm to others even though they face inequalities due to race, heritage and have been marked in a superstitious ways as cursed. A brother and a sister are two main characters that at times bring a tear in your eye for the happiest and the saddest of times they face in this WW1 period story.

The authors successfully places you in the atmosphere of that era and especially the Cove. The story flowed in an eloquent pace, hard times and romantic occasions really a throwback to the storytelling of Charles Dickens. This was my first reading from Ron Rash and won't be the last I felt in the hands of a great storyteller, at one point i was reminiscing on an equally great story Great Expectations as you do want great things to happen to Laurel Shelton and her guest that she becomes attached to. That guest is equally lost for words and cannot communicate by tongue but touched others hearts with tunes from a flute and gathers attention like the pied piper of Hamlin. Attention is what he does not need, as the man who struck up from nowhere and finds a lady to warm his heart soon faces harder times, and those around him go through their worst and happiest of times. A story to remember with an exceptional quality of writing historical, very romantic with a overshadowing melancholy presence from beginning to end.
Bravo!

Check out also myreview @ http://more2read.com/review/the-cove-by-ron-rash/
and these videos there:

Gary Carden interviews Ron Rash (video): http://more2read.com/gary-carden-interviews-ron-rash-video/

Ron Rash reads from Serena http://more2read.com/ron-rash-reads-from-serena/

Ron Rash Interview by Stacey Cochran http://more2read.com/ron-rash-author-video/

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cove.

03/30/2012 page 60
show 2 hidden updates…

Comments (showing 1-7)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 7: by Melki (new) - added it

Melki I loved Serena, so I'll definitely give this one a try.

message 6: by Jo Anne (new) - added it

Jo Anne B Great review Lou. I never heard of this author and will have to read this.

message 5: by Lou (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lou Jo Anne wrote: "Great review Lou. I never heard of this author and will have to read this."

Thanks this has romance where his other novel Serena has more darkness others have said. I will need to read Serena, there's to be an adaption of Serena I found out today:

Rhys Ifans & Toby Jones To Join Susanne Bier's Adaptation Of Ron Rash's Period-Drama 'Serena'

message 4: by Kelly (new) - added it

Kelly I have this book glaring impatiently at me from the TBR. I so need to get to it.

Will Byrnes I loved this book as well. And the interview vids are quite illuminating

message 2: by Lou (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lou Will wrote: "I loved this book as well. And the interview vids are quite illuminating"

Thanks, you did bring this writer more to my attention in your reviews.

Will Byrnes He deserves to be read by everyone