Naoms's Reviews > Tangled Threads

Tangled Threads by Jennifer Estep

Feb 03, 12

bookshelves: paranormal-urban-fantasy, read-in-2012, library, witches-magic-users-shamans
Read from February 02 to 03, 2012

Another solid installment in the Gin saga. I feel as if I am liking the series more as it goes along, because as it goes along Gin becomes more and more human. In Spider's Bite she was cocky, and pretended that nothing mattered. She was interested in sex with Donovan, but nothing more. By the time we get to Tangled Threads, she's got Owen and is dealing with emotional issues. Love, family, etc.

I think what Estep has done really well with these first four books is build tension. I CANNOT WAIT, for Gin and Mab to come face to face. I can't wait. Gin has been on a crash course towards that woman for a long time. I'm also sick of Mab being all talk, being the figure on the edge, the one pulling the strings. If she's so bad ass, that Gin is afraid to take her, I want to experience it.

My issue with this series is Estep's writing. It's redundant and repetitive. She doesn't have to recap EVERYTHING from the series. We don't have to know who her targets were in every book. She just has to give the bare bones and continue. A lot of that stuff isn't needed for us to understand, even if you were just picking up the book. And if you're starting a series at book 4, you deserve to be lost.It's getting annoying with all her recaps.

Also,"Me. Gin Blanco. The Spider." Honestly, I do not want to read that sentence ever again. Or things like "...can be deadly, just like me." I feel like in real life, people who are truly dangerous and can truly get it done, do not have to talk about it. We know she's an assassin. We know that no matter what has been thrown at her she survives, so her having to tell us that all the time.

For some reason, the ending with Bria seemed anti-climactic. It just didn't hold up to the emotional force that years of separation, guilt and loss should build. I would like for there to be a real conversation between them, where they talk about exactly what happened to them and what's been going on, etc etc.

I do like the idea of Finn and Bria together. Very interesting for both their characters. Also, I would love to see more of Bria, less tough cop, more woman behind the badge...

Excited to read Spider's Revenge. I assume she finally gets Mab, I wonder why we need a book to follow up her beating the bad guy, though....

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tangled Threads.

02/02/2012 page 47
13.0% "Must she always refer to herself in 3rd person?"