Wei Cho's Reviews > The Horse Whisperer

The Horse Whisperer by Nicholas Evans

Feb 01, 12

bookshelves: romance
Read in February, 2006

I don't remember much of this book, the only two things clear to me were:
1. I discovered I loved horses from the instance I heard about Pilgrim. I wanted to own one.
2. My very first introduction to romance novel that contained some sex in the chapters. It felt really awkward...

The Horse Whisperer is a story about love and redemption. It tells the story of a girl who suffered an accident while riding her horse. Now, both the girl and the horse are in pain, wild, and afraid. The mother of the girl takes them to a horse whisperer to heal the spirits of the horse. It was a very bizarre backstory, that of Tom. All I could remember was when they fell in love.

The part I can clearly remember is the last quarter of the book because it was so emotionally powerful. Tom and Annie had declared their love to each other. The next day, Tom had an idea to train Pilgrim, or showed him who the master was. He forced Pilgrim to kneel before Grace. It was a heartbreaking passage because everybody was crying and Tom was still forcing Pilgrim despite his painful neighing. In the end, everything was resolved and Pilgrim was cured.

But the worst of worst happened. The cruel, terrible, and unexpected ending. I shivered with sadness, frustration, and anger. Tom dies. He was caught in a storm of fury of a horse (can't remember which), and he receives a terrible blow on the head by the hooves of the beast. His death was instantaneous. Terrible terrible death, both in execution and style. I was not expecting it. It made me tremble with anger. Just when Tom and Annie had fallen in love, their hearts rekindling with love again, calamity had to strike. It just had to..!

Overall, the book was good. It was only the ending that blasted everything and pooed my day.

Well, if I might rejoice in something is that at least Tom and Annie got their one night together. ^_^

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Horse Whisperer.