Grace's Reviews > The Guy Next Door (Men Who Walk the Edge of Honor, #0.5)

The Guy Next Door (Men Who Walk the Edge of Honor, #0.5) by Lori Foster

Feb 01, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: 2012-all, 2012-new, contemporary-romance, short-stories, ebook, library-brooklyn
Read from February 02 to 04, 2012

** spoiler alert ** So, the entire reason I got this was for the prequel to the Donovan Brothers Brewery trilogy, and that was excellent. I read that last night and I enjoyed it a lot, I'm looking forward to reading the third book in the trilogy.

Then tonight I thought I would try the other two stories to see what they were like. THAT WAS A MISTAKE. The first one (Ready, Set, Jett) wasn't completely terrible, but Jett restraining Natalie without getting consent first bothered me a lot. Having an entire relationship that went from just sex to engagement over the course of days is not something that is going to work for me, either. And the thing about Natalie's sister Molly was a little bit distracting, even though I know it was the setup for whatever the next book in that series is about. I'm sure Molly will be okay in the end, but I can't be bothered to find out. I wasn't overly impressed.

AND THEN THERE WAS THE SECOND ONE (Gail Gone Wild). Which was just, in a word, awful. I found Gail to be unbelievable, unrealistic, and irritating. The daughter's POV was distracting and unnecessary, and for that matter, the daughter and her friend were terrible and stereotypical and just plain AWFUL. I basically skimmed the latter half of this one, and even that was too much.

... and now I need to read something that is not distressing. I am not ending my night with that. I think it's time to pull Persuasion out. Captain Wentworth's letter will fix this.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Guy Next Door (Men Who Walk the Edge of Honor, #0.5).

message 1: by Jess (new)

Jess Oh man, I can't remember if I read the other novellas that were in that book or not, but they sound terrible. This is the problem with anthologies.

Grace The first one wasn't *terrible* exactly, but like I said, definitely major bothersome elements. The second one was about a 36 year old mother to a 17 year old stereotype, who chaperones her daughter and her friend on their spring break trip. I should have known from the title that it would be terrible. I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN BETTER.

Also, I did not buy the 36 year old woman who was a mother of a 17 year old, and whose ex-husband was in prison for embezzlement, as a woman who was also a nerdy PhD mother, who then had a spring break fling that turned into something real. It was not written in a way that made it at all believable. And the 17 year old daughter should not have had POV sections in this story.

If you haven't read them, I advise you not to waste your time, hahaha.