Sarah's Reviews > Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail

Wild by Cheryl Strayed

Sep 14, 14

bookshelves: carlsbad-library-loan, favorites
Read from April 22 to 28, 2012

Oooohhhh Wild. I'm going to miss you.

If the reader wants a head trip, the best method that I can think of is this:

Read Elizabeth Gilbert's "Eat Pray Love."
Then read "Wild."

You'll gain your balance VERY quickly.

I couldn't help drawing parallels too to my own poverty-woven experience reading this, particularly since I had to wait a month to read it (no instant gratification when you have to take your turn on a waiting list from the library) and often have similar experiences with food and physical challenges from no longer having health insurance or my own income to buy foods I crave. This story helped me see the panic I too possess in a forgiving light, and helps me to take next steps, with no regrets of my decisions, for making my life not only better, but better by stepping outside of my formula and the formula of the world.

Oh, and yes...I too want to hike this trail someday.

Miigwech, Cheryl.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wild.

Quotes Sarah Liked

Cheryl Strayed
“I had no roof I made       Audacity my roof. ROBERT PINSKY, “Samurai Song”

Cheryl Strayed
“I knew that if I allowed fear to overtake me, my journey was doomed. Fear, to a great extent, is born of a story we tell ourselves, and so I chose to tell myself a different story from the one women are told. I decided I was safe. I was strong. I was brave. Nothing could vanquish me. Insisting on this story was a form of mind control, but for the most part, it worked.”

Cheryl Strayed
“The heat was so intense that my memory of it is not so much a sensation as a sound, a whine that rose to a dissonant keen with my head at its very center.”

04/24/2012 page 83
25.0% "My. If this gets any more morose I may join the boots in the preface..."
04/27/2012 page 222
66.0% "How does anyone put this book down? And I think between this and "The Descendants" I'm ruined for vacation travel for a few years...want to see it all..."