Melliane's Reviews > Royal Street

Mar 25, 12

Read from February 01 to 04, 2012

Mon avis en français

My English review

Since I heard about this book, I was more than intrigued to learn more about it. So when I had the opportunity to read it with Netgalley, I immediately asked for it. And I confess that now I can only recommend it. It’s a new series I really loved (yes, yes, again). It’s always a pleasure to discover some new books like this one.

Suzanne Johnson presents us a unique world, different from the ones we could have found before. A world of course full of magic, of all kinds of creatures but also a universe which mixes some mythic characters who live among the population. We could meet Louis Armstrong, Jean Laffite or even Marie Laveau. What more can we ask for? I have to say these meetings were a big surprise and I really liked to learn more about them all. They are some characters we know a lot about and it’s true it’s very interesting to have an idea about their nature. I hadn’t read a lot of things about Katrina, this terrible hurricane whom everyone had seen the consequences. I think it was very interesting to follow the story because we can really feel the sadness, the changes and all the problems that occurred in the New-Orleans. Indeed, this storm is very important for the story.

We can meet here Drusilla, a young determined and stubborn woman, but who has also a big heart. She became the town’s sentinel after a tragic accident. During this hurricane, her mentor, Gerry vanishes and our heroine has to take her place. She is now determined to find what is going on, because she is convinced he isn’t dead. She doesn’t have a lot of powers but her capacity to read the feelings of the persons near her, helps her in her missions (well, it’s true she didn’t have a lot yet). A new character appears in the story, Alex, a mysterious man we want to know everything about and we would like to learn what he really wants. He will be here all along the book to assist DJ and protect and her from the ones who would like to kill her. But there is more, we also meet Jake, Alex cousin who is as much intriguing in his own way. What a chance DJ has, two sublime men who want to protect her from everything.

We follow the DJ investigation that will lead her in some dark paths but it will allow her to make new interesting and unique meetings.

It’s a great start for a promising series and I get into the story from the start until the end, trying to understand what was going on and discover the answers to my questions. We have a lot of beautiful surprises all along the novel and we learn to enjoy many characters. All complexes and completes, which allow to keep the readers interested. I really loved the Suzanne Johnson first volume and I’m more than curious to read the second one.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Royal Street.

02/01/2012 page 36
show 3 hidden updates…

Comments (showing 1-6)

dateUp arrow    newest »

NyxShadow à ce point ? Va peut-être falloir que j'y jette un oeil ^^

Melliane rolala vraiment génial! Dommage que je ne peux poster mon avis que un mois avant la date je crois. Il a de nouvelles très bonnes idées. Un monde que j'ai beaucoup aimé, des personnages complets et intéressants. J'ai aussi trouvé vraiment bien d'avoir tout ceci avec les répercutions de Katrina, parce que finalement je n'ai jamais rien lu là dessus.

NyxShadow je le précommanderai quand j'aurai de l'argent ^^

Melliane je suis sure qu'il te plaira ! C'est un bon début de série prometteur je pense. J'ai hâte de voir ce que tu en penseras!

NyxShadow je te fais entièrement confiance, je viens de le pré-co ^^

Melliane lol maintenant si tu aimes pas tu vas m'en vouloir... je vais croiser les doigts!!!!