April Helms's Reviews > Long Walk to Freedom

F_50x66
Feb 01, 12

bookshelves: autobiography, multicultural, nonfiction
Read in February, 2012

"Wow" best sums up my thoughts after finishing this long but very moving, very captivating story of Nelson Mandela (Madiba), from his early days in rural South Africa to his taking the reins of a nation newly freed from apartheid. I get the impression of a very intelligent, pragmatic man who is willing to listen to others opinions, even if he doesn't agree with him. His story is told very well, and is easy to follow. I learned a lot about Mandela and South Africa from his autobiography, and it makes me realize how little I know about Africa. I love how he relates his growth into becoming an activist- how he watches and observes for a while, then slowly is molded into becoming a reformer for his country. I think this quote illustrates Mandella quite well: "Nonviolent passive resistance is effective as long as your opposition adheres to the same rules as you do. But if peaceful protest is met with violence, its efficacy is at an end. For me, nonviolence was not a moral principle but a strategy; there is no moral goodness in using an ineffective weapon." Very pragmatic, very rational. This is an inspiring book, I highly recommend it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Long Walk to Freedom.