Elizabeth's Reviews > The Ghoul Next Door

Feb 01, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: ya, scifi-fantasy, recently-read
Read from February 02 to 03, 2012 — I own a copy

Like the first book, this was a cute, wholly average YA that I personally loved because it ties into a fandom I care about. I really did enjoy gaining Cleo's perspective, and the plot was suspenseful enough to keep me turning the pages.

In this one, after the disastrous cliffhanger of the first book, the young RADs are under deeper cover than ever. With the threat of exposure looming over them, Frankie and her friends, along with Melody, her sister, Candace, and another normie named Brett, decide to do a documentary; the goal is to show that they are not monsters to be afraid of, but typical teenagers with hopes and dreams and insecurities. All the RADs think this is a great idea- except Cleo de Nile, the school's queen bee. Scared that she's losing sway, she sets out to undermine the movie, but the plan goes further than even she had anticipated. The book ends on yet another cliffhanger, this one threatening our RADs with worldwide exposure.

My likes and dislikes are mostly the same as the first go-round. The name-dropping gets tiresome. This time it's Cleo's Herve Leger bandage dresses (which I do admit is clever for a mummy character) and her playlist for a get-together with her friends. I know the author is trying to show how current and trendy the teens in the book are, but it's unnecessary. Show, don't tell, etc. And in the long run, it will date the books.

I do like that the author gives a fresh twist on the beautiful, popular older sister trope. Candace might be shallow, but she's also kind and a devoted sister... and she's no airhead. I totally enjoyed her scenes with InvisiBilly, and her insistence that the acronym for the normie group be NUDI.

Overall, entertaining enough, and populated with characters that I care about. I'll be reading the third installment.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ghoul Next Door.

02/03/2012 page 69
29.0% "Cute so far; I'm really enjoying Cleo's chapters."