Elizabeth's Reviews > Monster High

Monster High by Lisi Harrison

Feb 02, 12

bookshelves: scifi-fantasy, ya, recently-read
Read from February 01 to 02, 2012

This was cute. It's a fairly middle-of-the-road YA that probably got bumped up in my estimation because I'm a huge fan of the dolls and the web series. The novel deviates a bit from the animated canon, setting the characters into a high school that is integrated with non-monsters; the whole monster thing is a huge secret, which sets up some tension and moves the plot. The novel also introduces a "normie" girl, Melody Carver, to give the opposite perspective.

The story begins with the Carver family moving to Salem, Oregon (the site of Merston "Monster" High) from Beverly Hills; at the same time, Frankie Stein is being "born" in her father's laboratory. This first novel follows both girls as they experience being the new girls at school, each trying to find their place among the mixed population there. Frankie does the most moving of plot, because she is a monster in hiding, a Regular Attribute Dodger, or RAD- and she doesn't understand why her people can't find acceptance among the normies. Melody, on the other hand, experiences more of the typical trials of fitting in- drama with the school's queen bee, and navigating the rocky waters of a crush on a confusing guy. Things come to a head when the Merston students decide to give their fall semi-formal dance a Monster Mash theme. The novel ends on a bit of a cliff-hanger, which is why I went out and got the next book pretty much immediately.

The only real issue I had with the book was all branding and name dropping. I don't really care to know that Frankie is jamming to Lady Gaga or Timbaland; I don't [i]want[/i] to know that Deuce is wearing an Ed Hardy hat (those poor snakes, lol). However, Harrison makes up for this some by using cute, teen-specific metaphors, such as "Frankie was more charged than a Visa at Christmas".

Overall, this was mind-candy, a neat way to get my Monster High fix while I'm hunting for dolls. It was interesting to see a different take on the characters, and to get a peek at their home life and how the ghouls would fit into our world, as opposed to the monsters-only world of the webisodes.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Monster High.

02/01/2012 page 72