Katri's Reviews > Anne of Green Gables

Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery

Apr 03, 14

bookshelves: childhood-favourites, young-adult, classics, l-m-montgomery
Read in April, 2014

I have no idea how many times I've read this book since I first discovered it at the age of 11 or so. But it seems no matter how many times I read it, or how often, I never grow tired of it. Its world is enchanting. It's everyday life with its human-sized joys and sorrows, and at the same time it borrows some enchantment of poetry and fairy tales, showing how magical and beautiful that everyday world can be and how great those human-sized joys and sorrows can be. It's what I always return to L.M. Montgomery's books for, and Anne of Green Gables is one of the most amazing examples of it.

In the past I've sometimes felt a little daunted by Anne, because she is so powerfully optimistic and well-loved that the little old me feels rather drab in comparison. But at the same time Anne was one of those heroines who always made me feel I can be me, I can be the imaginative, emotional, daydream-filled me, no matter how strange other people find it, and she helped me believe in happy endings and in the joy of being yourself. Now when I read it again I felt this effect very strongly, perhaps because it's what I need in my life very much.

(view spoiler)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Anne of Green Gables.

Quotes Katri Liked

L.M. Montgomery
“When I left Queen's my future seemed to stretch out before me like a straight road. I thought I could see along it for many a milestone. Now there is a bend in it. I don't know what lies around the bend, but I'm going to believe that the best does.”
L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

L.M. Montgomery
“Why must people kneel down to pray? If I really wanted to pray I’ll tell you what I'd do. I'd go out into a great big field all alone or in the deep, deep woods and I'd look up into the sky—up—up—up—into that lovely blue sky that looks as if there was no end to its blueness. And then I'd just feel a prayer.”
L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

11/14/2008 page 144
45.86% "Rereading an old favourite; it seems like a good way to relax after all the stress I've had lately!"