Cathy 's Reviews > A Fire in the Sun

A Fire in the Sun by George Alec Effinger

Feb 16, 12

bookshelves: science-fiction, people-of-color, read-in-2012
Read from February 15 to 16, 2012

In some ways I thought the plot was a bit weaker than in the first book, for example there was an incredibly convenient incident where Marîd ended up in an alley with the moddy of the big bad guy that gave him tons of information that he needed and tons of leverage. But in other ways it was very satisfying, I still just love the atmosphere and the characters. Marîd is still struggling with the tension of being more and more isolated and yet longing for connections with the people he cares about, and it's quite touching to see how be deals with that. All in all the world just feels so real, it's a complete escape.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Fire in the Sun.

02/14/2012 page 26
9.0% "GRRM describes Effinger's fiction as, "Wry and black and savage...there's a knife behind every smile.""
02/14/2012 page 29
10.0% "Now that's a horrifying idea, an alarm clock as part of your modifications, so you're suddenly awake, no drowsy transition."
02/15/2012 page 155
54.0% ""I always told everyone how much I preferred being on my own, a solitary agent answerable only to myself. I wish I meant it half as much as I pretended." The heart of the character."