Lianne's Reviews > A Dance with Dragons

A Dance with Dragons by George R.R. Martin

F 50x66
Feb 01, 12

Read in January, 2012

This is book 5 of the George R.R.Martin "A Song of Ice and Fire" series. It's another behemoth of 1000 pages that lumbers through the bloody and exotic fantasy worlds of the author's creation. My son originally got me started on the series. When I read it in bed, my hands are not strong enough to hold up the book for any length of time so I prop it on a cushion on my chest. Here is a situation where having a Kindle might have been more cosy that a hardback. The first of the series "A Game of Thrones" has been made into a series on HBO and the die hards allwatched it last fall. I hear the DVD will be released in April so I'll probably watch it then. I felt that the author was barely in control of his baroque, many layered plots this time and the stories seemed to range so wide and sprawling that they lack focus. All the loyal retainers and treacherous lords began to merge into one. The women characters are most memorable: a platinum-haired queen who has three dragons growing ever larger in the caves below her castle, a red priestess of a fire god, and an under cover princess in disguise marking time till the last battle (that hasn't happened yet.) The most sympathetic of the men characters is Jon, the Commander of the Wall, that separates the civilized parts of the world from the frozen lands where disembodied zombie like creatures threaten to break through.I will probably read the next mega volume when it comes out but I'm not in any hurry. Let George R. R. Martin take his time and maybe even (gasp!)tighten up the plot a bit more by getting rid of at least a third of the characters.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Dance with Dragons.