Omar Halabieh's Reviews > The Greatest Salesman In The World

The Greatest Salesman In The World by Og Mandino

Feb 18, 12

Read from February 01 to 18, 2012

The story is that of a very successful merchant (Hafid), who's success entailed from applying the wisdom contained in ancient scrolls that were passed onto him. These scrolls contain the foundational principles of success for a salesman. What is worth noting is that these same principles apply just as equally to leadership.

The story is very motivational, inspirational, entertaining and educational.

Below are excerpts outlining some of the key principles presented in the book:

1) "Truly many times have you heard me say that the rewards are great if one succeeds but the rewards are great only because so few succeed. Many succumb to despair and fail without realizing that they already possess all the tools needed to acquire great wealth. Many others face each obstacle in their path with fear and doubt and consider them as enemies when, in truth, these obstructions are friends and helpers. Obstacles are necessary for success because in selling, as in all careers of importance, victory comes only after many struggles and countless defeats. Yet each struggle, each defeat, sharpens your skills and strengths, your courage and your endurance, your ability and your confidence and thus each obstacle is a comrade-in-arms forcing you to become better...or quit."

2) "Failure will never overtake me if my determination to succeed is strong enough."

3) "In truth, the only difference between those who have failed and those who have succeeded lies in the difference of their habits. Good habits are the unlocked door to failure. Thus, the first law I will obey, which precedeth all others is - I will form good habits and become their slave."

4) "If I have no other qualities I can succeed with love alone. Without it I will fail though I possess all the knowledge and skills of the world."

5) "Nor will I allow yesterday's success to lull me into today's complacency, for this is the great foundation of failure. I will forget the happenings of the day that is gone, whether they were good or bad, and greet the new sun with confidence that this will be the best day of my life."

6) "Each minute of today will be more fruitful than hours of yesterday. My last must be my best."

7) "From this moment I am prepared to control whatever personality awakes in me each day. I will master my moods through positive action and when I master my moods I will control my destiny."

8) "To enjoy success I must have happiness, and laughter will be the maiden who serves me."

9) "Today I will surpass every action which I performed yesterday. I will climb today's mountain to the utmost of my ability yet tomorrow I will climb higher than today, and the next will be higher than tomorrow. To surpass the deeds of others is unimportant; to surpass my own deeds is all."

10) "Only action determines my value in the market place and to multiply my value I will multiply my actions. "

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Greatest Salesman In The World.