Priscilla's Reviews > The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon

Feb 25, 12

Read from February 17 to 18, 2012

Actually 3.5/5. Although I did like the effectiveness of the writing style, at the same time it was quite overwhelming. I don't think you can have one without the other, so my feelings are quite mixed.

Initial Thoughts:
1. Really enjoyed the introduction to the book. Quite humourous. Even though our main character states he can't tell jokes, he is unintentionally funny. He says things no one says, the filter is off, and it made me laugh.
2. Christopher is effectively portrayed through the narration style, and it was an amazing, jarring, and disorienting experience.
3. Christopher goes off on a lot of tangents, revealing facts and observations, and there were moments that I felt overwhelmed (I believe that's intended), and I started to become detached to the overall story.
4. Great surprises and twists. I got halfway, and it was 'WOW'.
5. Heavy on the heart. We see how Christopher and those around him are affected by his autism. Reading these moments in the book were intense and engaging.

Check out my video review here!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Stacey (prettybooks) I really enjoyed this book. I want to re-read it this year actually. I hope you do get a chance to read it!

Weishi Awesome book

Priscilla I hope so too! Can't wait, I'm very excited. :)

Samantha I loved this book! It's the only book I've read that I've liked in English class since 6th grade! :) Hope you love it.

Crystal I loved this book! I recently got my boyfriend to read it earlier this month. It gives a great perspective that you can learn from!

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Love this book so much, hope you enjoy it!

message 7: by Robert (new)

Robert I found this at my local library book sale earlier this month, ironically right after you had mentioned it and I knew I had to pick it up:)

message 8: by eny (new) - added it

eny this book is awesome!!

Alecia I, too, found this book in my local library. It was an amazing read. I'm sure you'll love it :)

message 10: by Bobby (new)

Bobby bye customers

Kennia Belikov I was also losing track of the main story because of the tangents but as well, I agree that they are intended. I had never met a person with autism and this semester in college I met a boy who has autism. This book, to me, is a reflection of how someone perceives the world/universe. I believe that those 'tangents' are always part of their lives. Awesome book so far, I'm halfway done :)