Christine's Reviews > The Gods of Gotham

The Gods of Gotham by Lyndsay Faye

Feb 15, 12

Read from February 01 to 15, 2012

The Gods of Gotham is a story about Timothy Wilde who becomes a police officer in the NYPD in the 1840s. He happens upon a young girl covered in blood one night and takes her home to get her cleaned up hoping to find out what happened. She tells him that there are many murdered children who are buried in the forest, and this leads him to begin the investigation into her story.

Timothy was the was the kind of character that I wanted the best for. He had such a run of bad luck at the start of the book that I thought that things could only get better for him. Although he came into police work by misfortune and was reluctant to take the job, it was obvious that he had a talent for it and he could have a future in the field. He was really diligent about working to solve the case and had a good eye for detail. Timothy was a decent and kind man who did his best to protect and care for Bird. As the book progressed, it was hard reading about how he found out some secrets that other characters had kept from him. It didn't seem fair for him to have to deal with more sadness.

His brother, Val, was quite a unique individual. He had such a questionable personal life, yet was politically active and had been a firefighter. It was interesting reading about the pain and terrible bitterness between him and Timothy. After they got some things cleared up near the end, I couldn't help but wonder about their future. Were they the same towards each other? Did things get better? I'd love to find out.

The other characters were well-written and developed. I found it easy to keep track of each of them and their individual stories. The plot was very interesting and had some twists that I didn't expect. I didn't have a hard time guessing who was mainly responsible for the crimes, but was surprised at how everything turned out in the end.

Overall, the book was a great read, but I had to read slowly at the start. It took me a couple of chapters just to get used to the flash terminology. I wouldn't say that is a flaw though as it was appropriate for the time and place. I was very fascinated reading about life in New York in the 1840s. It was a much harder time than I had thought, and I appreciated all the detail and information that the author presented about it.

I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads. Thank you!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Gods of Gotham.

02/09/2012 page 25