Joshua Steimle's Reviews > No Apology: The Case for American Greatness

No Apology by Mitt Romney

Mar 07, 12

Read from March 01 to 07, 2012

I've written my more in-depth review at http://www.libertyqa.org/people/no-apology-mitt-romney-review.html, but to sum things up, I found the book horrifying. Yes, there are some things I agree with, but I find Romney's views on foreign policy uninformed and dangerous, his attitude toward other countries and peoples condescending, his apparent ignorance of natural law and individual rights frightening, and his trust in smart people being able to wield the power of government effectively....well, horrifying.

Romney, like Obama, Bush, Clinton, and most other US Presidents, believes the key to solving our problems is merely to get good, smart people into power. People who can come up with plans to help the rest of us. He virtually ignores the idea that perhaps, to paraphrase Reagan, government isn't the solution but is, in fact, the problem. He puts too much confidence in people, rather than the restrictions of the Constitution, and as such is in direct opposition to Thomas Jefferson's statement “In questions of power, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution.”

If Romney becomes President I don't see any reason why things will change substantially. I would like to be wrong, but I don't see fundamental differences between his philosophy of the role of government and Obama's. They both want to use government to force the rest of us to do what they think is "right", they just have different ideas about what is right. Neither wants to allow us to use our freedom to make decisions for ourselves.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read No Apology.