Mike (the Paladin)'s Reviews > Avengers Assemble, Vol. 1

Avengers Assemble, Vol. 1 by Kurt Busiek

Feb 16, 12

bookshelves: graphic-novel
Read from February 01 to 16, 2012

Some of you probably knew up front (if you thought about it at all) that I'd like this book as it takes a pretty big screw up for me not to like the Avengers...especially if Cap's the one in charge.

I've noted before that I grew up collecting Silver Age comics and that I slide nostalgically back to my youth when I read these.

Same here. Good book, good art, lots of action lots of heroes (if the Avengers has a draw back it's the huge roster of past and temporary members). Still that's not a big deal in a book about a group that almost routinely faces threats to the world, the galaxy, the universe, the multiverse and reality itself.

The stories here are good and the writing stays on track. The art doesn't flag and is well reproduced beautifully (a problem in some compilations). Great comic, graphic novel or whatever you're comfortable calling it.

So, gird up your loins for battle as the Bible says and prepare for some high powered slug fests and of course the obligatory tugs at the heart as love rears it's dangerous head.

Enjoy.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Avengers Assemble, Vol. 1.

message 1: by Noetic_Hatter (last edited Feb 02, 2012 10:45AM) (new)

Noetic_Hatter I love Perez, as I said. It's been years since I read this one, but the only complaint I recall having was the constant attempts to make the Avengers into some kind of gods. The young recruits were so worshipful.

(subverted a bit in The Boys, when the young girl gets to join the big team)

Mike (the Paladin) Well, they go back to 1964 so there would be a bit of hero worship among some newer members (you'd probably have liked the book where Scarlett Witch, Quick Silver and Hawkeye joined. Hawkeye was about as rebellious and defiant as possible.) That was about the time I started reading Marvel.

The only flaw I found with the Avengers (and you probably know from my other reviews it's my second favorite book) is that every hero imaginable manages to be at least a temporary member. Some of them I just find "head shake worthy", like "Living Lightening". sigh

message 3: by Vincent (new)

Vincent Chough I remember flipping through the wire comic rack at the local convenience store each month and the thrill of anticipation at seeing a new 25 cent issue.

I had a huge collection and was in love with the Marvel universe. Then you grow up and grow old, but that flavor remains when you "hear":

Avengers Assemble!
It's Clobberin' Time!
HULK SMASH!

And now the flash of Hollywood does all the imagining for us... yes, I like the movies, but it just isn't the same as the ink, art, story and lettering of Stan the Man and crew.

message 4: by Noetic_Hatter (new)

Noetic_Hatter Vincent wrote: "I remember flipping through the wire comic rack at the local convenience store each month and the thrill of anticipation at seeing a new 25 cent issue.

I had a huge collection and was in love with..."

I've started watching AVENGERS: EARTH'S MIGHTIEST HEROES on netflix. It'll get you excited again, and I am finding it's a great appetizer for both the movie and for my The Avengers Omnibus, Vol. 1, which should get to me any day now.

message 5: by Noetic_Hatter (new)

Noetic_Hatter Mike (the Paladin) wrote: "Well, they go back to 1964 so there would be a bit of hero worship among some newer members (you'd probably have liked the book where Scarlett Witch, Quick Silver and Hawkeye joined. Hawkeye was ab..."

Now that the softcovers are coming out at a good pace, I think I will re-examine this run. I'm on a bit of an
Avengers kick right now anyway.

Mike (the Paladin) I got this hard cover from the library but I've also snapped up some of the trade papers and am hoping for more.

Vincent, when I started reading "comics" (no one had heard of a "graphic novel" back then) it was the '50s and comics cost a dime. By '64 when I found Marvel (and they were just getting rolling then) they were $.12. Comics stayed twelve cents for a long time (along with nickle candy bars and dime sodas).

I suddenly feel old. I mean when I was in high school and was the only one on our debate team who could get access to my dad's car, gas was still less than a quarter a gallon. There were 2 stations across the street from each other that were always having gas wars. I remember getting gas for $.19 gallon.

Oh well.

message 7: by Vincent (new)

Vincent Chough LOL Mike! $0.19!! I´m not much younger (44y.o.). The first shock of aging for me was when all my sports heroes were suddendly much younger than me.

Funny how we can still enjoy the comics after all these years... but that was the secret of their success. The stories appealed to kids and adults.

Now with young kids of my own, I find it hard to share because the innocence of those early years is gone... How do I share with my 7 y.o. a universe that now gives me films and cartoons with graphic violence (by graphic I mean realistic)?

Even the industry rates the movies PG-13 while marketing to the grade schoolers..

Oh well.

message 8: by Noetic_Hatter (new)

Noetic_Hatter You guys got me beat. I'll be 39 this year. My first comics were Marvel's GI Joe back in the 80's, from whence I transitioned to X-Men, Spidey, etc. Long breaks in-between once I left for college, but I have been reading trades and hardcovers pretty regularly since about 2006ish. My problem is I have too broad tastes. $$$$$ :-(

@Vincent -- I guess your kid is probably too old to color in Essential Spider-Man or Showcase Superman, eh?

message 9: by Vincent (new)

Vincent Chough @Derrick - It's a tough call. Take Star Wars for instance. You start off with the original which changed my world view as a child and now... beheadings and dismemberment. Artistically incredible, yes, but ok for my 3rd grader?

They are always upping the ante. Yes I can share the more innocuous versions but the kids smell blood too... and they want a piece of the action. All their friends are watching, so why not?

(sorry Mike for going off topic here:)

Mike (the Paladin) No not really. I collected till the mid '70s. My kids were born in '76 and '78. By the time they were old enough to be fascinated by my collection there was no way I could allow them to go into a comic book store and browse. The industry was trying to appeal to a much narrower market mostly of older teens who liked the graphic stuff.

By the way, like you I bought my comics usually from a wire spin wrack usually in a grocery store. About once a month I got to stop (with my dad) at "news stand" near our place that was a small store and had wall wracks of magazines, paper backs and every comic title. Comic book stores again, weren't thought of.