Casey Lindstrom's Reviews > The Book of Rhythms

The Book of Rhythms by Langston Hughes

Feb 05, 12

bookshelves: eced-221
Read on February 01, 2012

This book was about all the different rhythms of the world. It showed how there are rhythms everywhere and there are ones that we do not even notice. It put the many ways of things into a perspective that most people do not recognize.

The words in this book do not rhyme. Langston Hughes matches the words for the emotions and feelings of the book. The illustrations in this book matched the words that were wrote. It also gave mental images while reading. This book expanded the awareness of the reader for the many types of rhythm in the world. The Book of Rhythms gives a different outlook on the world and how we perceive it. The book definitely had a postive stretch. It gave a positive outlook on the rhythms of the world. It provided the reader with illuminating observations. The appropriateness of the occasion for his book could be a music lesson in which the students are learning rhythms.
I personally disliked this book because it was a very dry read and had the format of a textbook. However the way he used the average happenings of the world and related them to rhythm was rather interesting. This book could be related to anyone's life because everyone goes through rhythm. Such as the earth spinning, and the seasons change, to the furniture you sit on. I personally would not use this book in my classroom because I did not like it. Although, it could be used opening a poetry lesson to assure students that poetry is not the only thing in the world that has rhythm, it also could be used in a music lesson for the same reason.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book of Rhythms.