Kristilyn's Reviews > Delirium

Delirium by Lauren Oliver

Feb 01, 2012

bookshelves: physical-book, favourites, read-in-2012
Read from April 02 to 05, 2012

Why did I take this long to actually start reading this series? Lauren Oliver is amazing writer and Delirium is nothing short of awesome. I feel like I’m finally inching my way out from under the rock I see to have been residing under.

If you’re one of those people who are still under that rock, Delirium is about Lena, who lives in a world like our own, but in her world, love is a disease. This means that, at an early age, people have a “procedure” that rids them of the feelings of love, rids them of susceptibility of contamination.

From the first pages I was intrigued. It was just so different from all of the other dystopian’s I had been reading. I loved the concept of love being the disease and couldn’t believe that people actually looked forward to getting the procedure done. It was hard to fall in love with the characters at first because they were so detached from these feelings, especially the older characters, but I couldn’t help but root for the younger ones, hoping that they would evade authority and the cons — even if they don’t look like cons — of the procedure.

Oliver is such an amazing writer. Her words read like poetry in sections and everything was just so smooth and flowing. I loved how the “world” of Delirium was Portland, but an alternate Portland. Oliver did a good job of creating a world that was so realistic, a world that could most definitely exist — one that was easy to be fearful of.

At the beginning of each chapter, Oliver includes little bits of literature from the pre-approved books that the people of Portland are to read. It was so interesting to read these little tidbits of information and see exactly how the people were being brainwashed through the literature, how literature that we read nowadays could be deemed as “cautionary tales.”

I did really love Lena as a character, as well as Hana. It was hard to see what they had to live with, the world they were forced to live in, but it was nice to see some rebelling, even if it kept you on your toes as a reader. I also really loved Alex’s character and was always so happy to see his name as I was reading. Oliver made it easy to really fall in love with these characters and to hate people like the Regulators or the guards.

And the twists and turns!! I don’t even want to go into detail about them — because you should most definitely read the book yourself to find out — but they will rip your heart out and leave a mess of of emotions in its place. This is a book you will not be able to put down.

This was a fantastic novel and now I feel compelled to read everything Lauren Oliver has written. I’m especially glad that I had Pandemonium, the next book in this series, in my possession and could read it right away because Oliver definitely left my world shattered with her ending of Delirium. A wonderful, wonderful writer, Lauren Oliver is one to watch.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Delirium.

04/04/2012 page 147
33.0% "I wish I could read faster ... this is such a great book!"
08/03/2016 marked as: read