Shanon (Escaping With Fiction)'s Reviews > Witchful Thinking

Witchful Thinking by H.P. Mallory

Feb 16, 12

bookshelves: favorite, arc
Read from February 02 to 13, 2012

My reviews can also be found at: http://escapingwithfiction.blogspot.com/

This book managed to captivate me just as much as the first two books in the series did. As usual, this story includes just as much humor, angst, heartbreak, longing, duty, realization and growing. It also happens to have a fantastic amount of romance and steam. But that's one of the things I've come to expect and appreciate from H.P. Mallory, who is just so good at writing Paranormal Romance!

This book is mostly about Jolie accepting her destiny as Queen of the Underworld. The responsibility that befalls her is so huge and overwhelming at times, and she starts to feel like her life is no longer her own. But when she really starts to embrace her calling, she is a force to be reckoned with and it is clear that she is the right woman for the job. Unfortunately, her status as Queen begins to seriously put a wedge between her already rocky relationship with the man she loves. But her royal position does bring her a bit closer to the man she has always been curious about.

I'm still so torn between Rand and Sinjin! Rand is so clearly the man that Jolie loves more than anything, and he's definitely the more practical choice for her. But there's just something about Sinjin, the over 600-and-something year old vampire, that's so utterly irresistible! I think I like the fact that he's just so naughty and such a bad boy, but when it comes to Jolie he clearly feels more for her than just lust (mostly), and their connection is undeniable. But then again, Rand is just so good-natured and his love for Jolie is so genuine--although sometimes frustrating--that it's hard to picture her with anyone else. Either way, one thing these men do have in common is their immense sex appeal and charm, and I never get tired of their presence in this series!

Another thing that pleases me about this book, aside from the romance, is that the mystery of the Lurkers is starting to be addressed and explored. Lurkers are basically a race that is half human, half vampire. They pose a serious threat to all other Underworld creatures due to their need for revenge and murder, and Jolie has suspicions about them that prove to be unsettling. I have no doubts that the Lurkers will be showing up more in the next book or so.

The ending of this book was such a cliff-hanger! From the very beginning of the book there was something curious going on in the background of the plot, and I felt like I should have known what it was, and then when it was revealed I wasn't completely surprised but it was still a jaw-dropping experience. All I can say is, I'm DYING to read the next book! I can't wait to uncover more about Jolie, the mysterious Prophetess and many other things involving this cast of awesome characters.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Witchful Thinking.

02/12/2012 page 171